Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Board Plane

LN9 for shooting

What makes the LN9 so good for shooting are the large cheeks and the position of the handle placed directly above the cutting edge.

However having said that, the LA can be used for shooting, especially with the hot dog handle, but a LN9 cannot be used as a bench plane because of the lack of forward and rear totes.

I have a Lee Valley Bevel Up Jack, and it has a large dimple on the side on which your thumb sits for shooting. I find it works really well for that purpose. And of course being a bevel up design it can be a regular and high angle plane too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Ngan View Post
    What makes the LN9 so good for shooting are the large cheeks and the position of the handle placed directly above the cutting edge.

However having said that, the LA can be used for shooting, especially with the hot dog handle, but a LN9 cannot be used as a bench plane because of the lack of forward and rear totes.

I have a Lee Valley Bevel Up Jack, and it has a large dimple on the side on which your thumb sits for shooting. I find it works really well for that purpose. And of course being a bevel up design it can be a regular and high angle plane too.
    I can't say much for the hotdog version because I don't have it (i have the old version with the side knob), but in general the LN 9 is a lot less tippy on a long shoot than an LA jack, and you can use it indefinitely without your fingers starting to hurt.

The handle is in a funny place - really far forward - on the old LN 9s, but shooting a long board, you can put it on the web of your hand and lean your forearm on it and push as hard as you can without hurting your fingers.

I guess I'd say it's just a lot easier to use (especially for long periods) because it's squat width wise and the cheeks are designed for shooting. It's nice for long grain shooting trimming / too. It's a bit of a luxury item, though, your work won't be any better because of it, at least mine hasn't been, and now I have a LV BUS that never sees the light of day except once every 6 months or so when pulling it out of the box to make sure there's no rust.

I hope this isn't derailing this thread but I've been debating selling the LN hot dog I picked up for the LA Jack. I bought it but haven't done any shooting with the LA Jack since getting the hot dog. Then I ended up getting a LN #9 last fall when Woodcraft was having their great LN sale. Is there any compelling reason why I still might want to use the LA Jack for shooting and keep the hot dog if I have the #9 too?
    Use the fence Luke

With the LA Jack being such a favoured choice for shooting board use, I wish Veritas would come out with a hot dog as an accessory for theirs. A nice piece of bubinga to match the tote and knob, a brass insert with set screw or two. I know I could make one but its just another thing on the list.

Jim B

The Lee Valley bevel up jack plane actually has a hotdog handle built in - it was designed that way. The lever cap is hotdog shaped, narrow with parallel sides. Your fingers grip the lever cap with you thumb in the round depression on the side. Works well for me.

The drawing on this page shows the different shaped lever cap clearly.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41182,52515

The ultimate shooting plane, in my opinion, is still the Stanley #51.

Here it is on the #52 chute board ...

And here it is on my ramped shooting board ..

Wait until LN bring lout theirs!

On the other hand, if you want to use a LAJ with a hotdog, here is my Veritas ...

Make yours here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ck%20pics.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Much thanks, Derek. That is exactly the kind of tutorial I have been looking for all morning.

Blog Entries
    I brought this thread back because some of the newbies might find it interesting.

Jim, et al

Here is my solution. I used a Stanley #4. The hotdog attaches to where the knob went. There is a groove cut in the hot dog for the side of the plane. It is comfortable enough to push and it has enough mass to finish most cuts if I don't try to take too much in one pass. Sorry for the ugly. My motto is "you don't need to look pretty to make pretty." In the spirit of full disclosure, shooting with a bench plane still was not satisfactory and I bought a LV shooting plane. HOT_DOG.jpg