Thread: Walnut Legal File Cabinet

Walnut Legal File Cabinet

Finished my Christmas Job with some warmer weather here in IL this week.
    Walnut legal sized lateral file cabinet with raised panels and face frame, 1/2" baltic birch dovetailed boxes, and an interior carcase of oak ply. Finish is just magnamax precat lacquer.

Inspired by designs from Cary Falk and Ed Labadie (forum members) as well as others on the forums. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and help!!

Also thanks as always to Gary and Brett for the daily advice - you boys are great.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike, one simply cannot go wrong with walnut! Excellent grain match, too, and overall a great looking job, though I didn't realize folks still used legal size files much anymore. We switched to letter size on everything years ago.

What kind of handles are you going to use? I love the look of brass with walnut.

I actually bought an insert file system from Office max that works with legal documents, then you can flip it over and it will work with standard sized files, or remove it and you have a two drawer cabinet for whatever.

The cabinet was a comissioned job for a friend. He is going to pick and add the hardware himself.

He wanted everything left in the walnut, sap, knots, everthing. He loved the look of it and was VERY happy.

Nice job with the walnut Mike... those panels really look good. I would like to see the hardware also but understand the circumstances involved...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks Sarge. I am sure I can get a pic once handles are added.

Very nice Mike.

Nice job Mike. Makes me want to get rid of the metal one in my own office.

Finally..I get to see a piece with a little Sapwood in it. Looks great!!

Might want to hide a little weight underneath in the back. That big a draw will make it turn over when it's full...Been there...Done That.

Cabinet is 1.5" think with the 3/4" carcase in ply and the panels and top in 3/4" walnut. Owner is going to fill the bottom first and see how it goes. I actually left room for counter weight in behind the drawers if he wanted to install some.