Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Sewing Machine info for Christmas

Exclamation Seeking Sewing Machine info for Christmas

LOML is looking to get a sewing machine for Christmas, so I have started to look for some info. Now I am looking to the board to see what your LOYL are using . I am looking for a nice machine that can do some decorative stitches and will last a long time and she can grow into it... So what are your wives using??? I do not think that embroidery is needed, but if it's included what the heck.

Also, I have tried to find on the WWW reviews on sewing machines, but have come up blank, along with online sources for the machines. All I know is that they do not list the prices, so I am afraid
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I think I would quiz her a bit and see just what she wants. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a model all picked out. Just playing it safe. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have tried that route and no help... and I thought picking out a WW machine was tough, some of these things are like CNC machines.

Does the other half know how to use computers?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    Does the other half know how to use computers?

Dan
    She has no problems with computers...

Michael,
    My sister who does a lot of quilting uses ELNA machines. She says they are well made and work well.

Bernina Machines are to sewing what Unisaw is to woodworking .... that said there are several good brands. My wife has a PFAFF mid-range machine that she does everything from lace curtains to jeans with including quilting. Paid like 700$ for it 3-4 years ago ...

Check around local sewing shops and maybe check out classes for her if she's interested... check out this link: Sewing Machine Info
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Another vote for Pfaff. LOML was given one, almost a buzillion years ago (that translated into 30+) and still loves it. I have offered to update it for her, but she wants no part of that! I did end up getting her a pretty high-end serger machine for her birthday this last summer.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Michael
    The LOML has a Janome. It's a couple years old, no problems, does more stitches than I want to think about (I think its around 30) and dinged us about $300 - thats about $240US. The thing sees lots of use as my better half makes craft stuff for craft shows, including quilts. She used my mother's old Singer briefly, but it suffered some major internal glitch - a broken gear, if memory serves, which would cost as much to fix as a comparable new machine. She then used her grandmother's old machine for quite some time without any problems. I think it was a Brother, more than 50 years old. LOML wasn't impressed with Singer at all, in her opinion. BTW, I seem to remember Singer recently filing for protection from creditors?? I could be completely wrong, but could be an issue with warranty.
    Hope this helps
    Pat

The LOML here has a PFaff Sewing machine (about $3400) and a Bernina serger (about $2000). Neither of which are the top end of either line. She really like working with both Pfaff and Bernina. The sewing machine came from her parents (thank goodness) and I got her the serger for a present.

Just my 2¢.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Seems like Pfaff is the direction I should look at. Thanks for the responses, but if anyone else something else to add I would appreciate it... I am glad I was sitting down when I saw the prices for sewing machines, though *ouch*

Michael,

Remember that to a woman...a sewing machine and serger is like a tablesaw and jointer/planer to us fellers. It a tool to make something from regular flat stock to form, shape and attach together to make something that every person needs.....clothing. The better the sewing machine, the better she will like it, the more she will use it and the more she will enjoy sewing. Used to, the LOML would go through sewing machines like I used to go through ROS's. She got the Pfaff and Bernina and I got the Festool sanders. We have BOTH been very happy and satisfied with our tools from that day forward.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Michael. You might want to contact Byron Trantham, a frequent posters here. Byron just finished a beautiful sewing room for his wife, and by the looks of it, she is an accomplished seamstress. Byron can most likely tell you what his wife perfers in a machine.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Michael,

Remember that to a woman...a sewing machine and serger is like a tablesaw and jointer/planer to us fellers. It a tool to make something from regular flat stock to form, shape and attach together to make something that every person needs.....clothing. The better the sewing machine, the better she will like it, the more she will use it and the more she will enjoy sewing. Used to, the LOML would go through sewing machines like I used to go through ROS's. She got the Pfaff and Bernina and I got the Festool sanders. We have BOTH been very happy and satisfied with our tools from that day forward.
    I know it's like our tools, but at least you get a lot of cast iron for that cash

I asked my wife about this one - she has a sewing business out of the house doing drapes, clothes, etc. along with teaching sewing classes. She said that all three machines mentioned (Elna, Pfaff, Bernina) are all top of the line. However, she sews with a Bernina. I would have to agree with her on this one - my opinion is that the Bernina is the best - just get ready to shell out some green backs!!!!!!
    Arvin Brown