Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Sewing Machine info for Christmas

I would reccomend one of those nice machines with computer tech for basic embroidery. Just remember, the nicer the machine you buy her, the more receptive she will be to allowing you to buy nicer tools. Secondly, this sewing machine may be helpful for any future upolstered projects that you may do.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Sewing machines....

My wife has a few. Husqvarna is her favorite. The Pfaff is a good machine. You better set a budget. You could spend 5k with no problem. I don't want to think what she's spent on the whole kabootle. I'm gettin' gray in the gills already. Good luck.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

The Rose

The wife bought one of these:
    http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/husqvarnaviking.htm
    It is called the Rose and it does everything and then some I guess.
    She sews and makes quilts. We have had it for at least 5 years or more and have had no troubles with it. She has a digitizer which is a cool feature for emb shirts towels etc it use the computer to scan and transfer the image to the machine which sew the image to whatever is in it.

I bought it for her but I don't remember the cost although I thought it was high, she has a serger too but I don't recall the brand.

Make sure she gets what she wants

Cause a Happy wife is a Happy life!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'm odd man out here

Wife has the Brother machine, also the Brother serger. Absoutley no problems with them. The sew machine is about 20 some years old. Still like new.

Steve

mr peacock is right on target!

my wife has sewed for 40 years, she has had a singer viking/huskvarna,phaff/and janome. the viking and janome are the present one's in her shop. she does quilts and clothes both. you do need a no. to go for becasue they cost as much and more than saws if you havnt looked before you will be shocked but i also agree you need to get her opinion. and i am sure she has one you just need her to say it take her along and go to more than one brand and actually set down and have her use it herself. bobbins, tension control, the way it threads the needle, all are things that she needs to look at. and only her can pick it. your choice wont doo!!! unless your real lucky. there again compare it to a table saw do you want her to get you one or do you want pick it out? good luck my last adventure cost me 3800.00 but she is still smilin every time it starts up. when she is happy i am happy
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-25-2004 at 11:03 AM.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Another vote for Pfaff. LOML was given one, almost a buzillion years ago (that translated into 30+) and still loves it. I have offered to update it for her, but she wants no part of that! I did end up getting her a pretty high-end serger machine for her birthday this last summer.
    hey john sounds like you were bartering or smooth talkin her into something newer to help over ride your next purchase she sounds like she is aware of your intentions to me
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

This weekend we went on a test drive of sewing machines, she tried out Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, and Bernina. I am pretty sure that she is going to go for a Bernina Quilter's Edition for a cool $2100. The ladies at the store said they were going to have a big sale on Nov 12 and Bernina offers 12 months interest free. Not as much fun as a new tool in the shop, but as has been mentioned before, gotta make the wife happy. If let y'all know how it goes.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

LOML has a Pfaff. I bought it for her shortly after we got married 23 yrs ago and it still runs like new. Maybe because it hardly ever gets turned on. I wish I'd known she didn't know how to sew before I bought it! I keep threatening to mount scrollsaw blades onto it.