Thread: Table Saw Rip Fence Capactiy

Table Saw Rip Fence Capactiy

Newbe here and turning garage into a shop. Main reason for cabinets in garage, basement, and then kitchen, bathroom, ect.

Looking into table saws and really like the Grizzly from the reveiws. To the question. For Cabnets I would think I need 30 inch rips for the bases but most all saws only have 25 right rip capacity. The size of my shop would be taken over with 7 foot rails on a table saw.

What do most people do for the 30 inch rips there are few choices between saws that have 25 inch right or 54 inch right.

I think you can shift the rail to the right and gain an extra 10-12" of rip capacity. I have the 54" capacity in my garage and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I think you can shift the rail to the right
    You might have to drill new holes in the fence rail, but it'll definitely work. Just keep in mind that you'll lose your capability to put the fence on the left side of the blade. Not that I've ever needed to do that, but it's a consideration.

I did this, albeit with my Incra fence where all I had to do was loosen four bolts and slide it. I think my new rip capacity is 63"

I ordered my old saw with 32" rip capacity, which wasn't standard. It was a no cost change to the saw.

I presume they made the correct length rails for mine, rather than shorten a 50" set.

You could also buy the 50" rip capacity and simply cut the two rails to a dimension you want.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    30" was too short 80% of the time. 40" has been plenty except for once since I set it up. Your projects and habits will cause your experiences on this to vary.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If space is truly at a premium, cut down the panels with a circular saw. Once you get the sheets to a more manageable size then you can massage them through your table saw configuration if needed.

That being said I have the 96" Incra rails, but my table saw definitely does take up a lot of real estate.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

When I had my steel city saw, the 30" capacity seemed to be small numerous times. When I bought my new saw I still only went with 36" rails because of the space issue. However I can cut about 38" on this saw and up to this point 10 months in it has never been too small. I used to do the good old circular saw rout and that works fine it is just another step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
    Newbe here and turning garage into a shop. Main reason for cabinets in garage, basement, and then kitchen, bathroom, ect.

Looking into table saws and really like the Grizzly from the reveiws. To the question. For Cabnets I would think I need 30 inch rips for the bases but most all saws only have 25 right rip capacity. The size of my shop would be taken over with 7 foot rails on a table saw.

What do most people do for the 30 inch rips there are few choices between saws that have 25 inch right or 54 inch right.
    If you need a 30" piece then you need only have a 18" capacity on your rip fence. Rip off the 30" piece to the left of the blade with the waste 17-7/8" piece against the fence. For cuts larger than your fence capacity use a straight edge guide and a skill saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute