Thread: WIP Stand for my Delta Midi

WIP Stand for my Delta Midi

Jim Underwood asked to see in progress pics of my lathe stand, so here goes. The first thing you'll notice is how much effort I put into these pics. Sorry. Just grabbed the wifes point and shoot.
    These pics are the way it was. The lathe sat on a shelf against a wall, surrounded by much junk. A very difficult place to work. The major problem is that no matter what I come up with it has to fit with two trucks in the garage where I work.

2.jpg
    3.jpg

What I came up with was 2 separate cabinets. One for just the lathe and some work surface, and the second for my sharpening equipment and 12" sander. My second issue is that I hate dust. I get so tired of the small sanding dust. The large currlies are easy to clean up, but the small stuff... I hate it. I wanted to find a way to control the dust as much as possible. I don't know if it works yet or not, but here it is. There are no pics of the second one, but it is essentially the same as the first one except for the dust collection. The lathe is mounted at the right end of the cabinet a la Wally Dickerman, and SWMBO's demand. It will be easier to stand at the end for hollowing.

4.jpg
    This is a pic of the jet engin port on the cabinet. Actually, this is where the dust collector plugs in.
    Here is how I tried to make the dust collector.

5.jpg
    I used a piece of expanded wire under the lathe. I cut a hole in the top, and put the mesh in it to catch any sand paper, large chunks, or runaway tools that might find their way into the area.

8.jpg
    I used a hole saw to perforate a piece of sewer pipe that was stuffed into the area under the wire mesh.

9.jpg
    Then I put two pieces of melamine alongside the pipe to help funnel the dust to the pipe. So far the only testing was a handful of dust thrown in the chamber. Didn't work so well, but I am hoping the real life use will work better. Even if it doesn't work perfectly, I hope it will keep the dust from piling up and getting caught in the motor.

Here is the cabinet without drawer fronts, and a few other steps.

6.jpg
    7.jpg

If anybody has any ideas to help make the dust collection better, I'd be really interested. I think when the cabinet is done, and I get a chance to make a few curlies, maybe I'll put a dust hood behind the lathe to get even more. I'll attach it with rare earth magnets to make it easy to move if necessary.

A couple of other notes. There are 2 pieces of 3" channel iron under each cabinet. Partly for weight, and mostly to keep the cabinets from sagging. Double locking casters bolt to the channel iron. I may need ballast for the bottom of the cabinet, because the wheel base is so narrow, and the whole thing is so top heavy. Any comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 01-17-2010 at 4:52 PM.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Brian that is a fine looking cabinet. I like the dust collection idea. Will be interested in hearing how it works for you. Please let me know.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That stand is coming along nicely. Love the integrated down draft. Good idea.

At least you have a lathe!

Brian, looks like you are going to have some nice storage, and a good setup.

For dust collection, I set a "Big Gulp" hood just behind the lathe, and a little below spindle height. Seems to catch most all the dust and a few of the chips - if they are going that direction. I'm not sure there is any way of getting all the ribbons and chips before they hit the floor.

Brian - looks like a really nice and well thought out stand! Looking forward to finding out how your built-in dust collection system works!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking stand and very functional . I don't know what type of turning you do but my only concern would be with small parts getting sucked up . Like pen bushings or other small items. Let us know how it works for you .