Thread: Craftsman 152.221040 Table Saw. Is it the same as OR35505?

Craftsman 152.221040 Table Saw. Is it the same as OR35505?

I'm going to look at a Craftsman table saw tonight. It's model #152.221040.

The guy says it's about 5 years old and from the picture it looks just like the OR35505 that I found on the Sears website.

I couldn't find much on the 152.# but the OR# seems to get really good reviews.

Does any one know if they are the same or similar models? Any problems with either?

TIA,
    Doug

Doug - The 22104 was the original entry level model of what became known as the Craftsman "zipcode saws" that came out in 2004...the 22114 and 22124 were the other two. They were made by Steel City's Orion unit. The 22104 has the same cabinet mounted trunnions as the others, but had steel wings vs cast iron, a simpler fence, no dust collection ramp, and a simpler miter gauge. They've proven to be a very good saw. Depending on condition and extras, I probably wouldn't pay over $300-$350 in today's market.

It might also be worth seeing if you can find a Ridgid R4511 at Home Depot for $300. These are also made by Orion and share the same trunnion brackets, enclosure, motor, and drive system as the other Orion made saws. The R4511 also offers a granite top, riving knife, a one piece cast blade shroud/arbor carriage, larger handwheels, and the Herculift mobile base.

Another consideration if the 22104 falls thru, is the replacement Craftsman 22833. I don't know much about it, but it's also a hybrid saw, retails for $550, goes on sale for less, and is currently eligible for the Bing.com "20% Cashback".

Anyone of these saws should be able to serve you well. The end performance is largely determined by good alignment and good blade selection.

Here's a look under the hood of the R4511:

Here's of the 22104:

...and a look under the hood:

Here's the 22833:

Good luck!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the great info.

I went and looked at the 22104 last night. It looked like a decent saw but I decided to pass on it. A couple of dis-likes were the steel wings and the fence. Also, the seller was trying hard to get me to buy his radial arm saw as well. I already have one that I hardly use so I didn't want to screw with it.

I looked at the Ridgid saw last week and wasn't able to find one in stock. The HD I want to only had a non-working display.

I did see that Sears had the 22124 on clearance for $599 last weekend. Is that a decent saw? I checked a couple of store but no luck. If it's a good buy, I may have to check further.

Thanks again!
    Doug