Thread: Edge planeing help...

Edge planeing help...

..Grrrrrr. I keep getting the following problem: I like to gang plane the edge of boards. I usually run for or five at a time at about a sixteeth take off. I am getting beveled edges. About three to four degrees. I planed a hundred feet of poplar Friday and had a beautiful job. Dead on accurate side to side. Ran some 1x4 pine today on edge and the $*#@! beveled the edges. Is it my bed rollers? I have them set at 3 degrees. Should I set them flat? This really hacks me to no end. And, if anyone could persuade Bill Tindall to sign on the "Mill", we all would be better off for it. He is a fountain of knowledge and we surely could use his input.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Paul Kunkel Guest

Question coupla questions

How wide the boards?
    how many at a time?
    have you joined a square edge for the bottom first?
    What do you mean by 3* on setup?
    Wish I could help!!

Got a shaper?

I use a shaper setup to dimension stock after rough ripping on the TS. I clamp a fence the proper distance away from a straight cutter and power feed it. This way, you can climb cut it safely and get a sweet finished edge...

Maybe you could make an auxilliary bed with a 90 deg fence to put in the planer with a feather board to press the stock against the fence as it feeds?
    JR

Re: coupla questions

Originally posted by Paul Kunkel
    How wide the boards?
    how many at a time?
    have you joined a square edge for the bottom first?
    What do you mean by 3* on setup?
    Wish I could help!!
    This has happened several times. My bed rollers are 3* above the bed. It's done it with 2 1/2" stock the 3 1/2" stock I ran Sat. I admit I do not joint an edge first. However, "if" the TS is square, I see no need. I'll check the TS squareness and, I really hope it is as simple as that. But, I think you should be able to run one, to however many edge wise, throught the planer and get dead square edges. Flat planeing is great. And, I mean really great. This method of planeing is great for making your styles and rails to be perfect in size. Just needs to be square.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Paul Kunkel Guest

Re: Re: coupla questions

Originally posted by Phil Phelps
    This has happened several times. My bed rollers are 3* above the bed. It's done it with 2 1/2" stock the 3 1/2" stock I ran Sat. I admit I do not joint an edge first. However, "if" the TS is square, I see no need. I'll check the TS squareness and, I really hope it is as simple as that. But, I think you should be able to run one, to however many edge wise, throught the planer and get dead square edges. Flat planeing is great. And, I mean really great. This method of planeing is great for making your styles and rails to be perfect in size. Just needs to be square.
    Phil, try this. Cut pieces 1/4" oversize. Edge join 5-6 pieces, 1 side only. Clamp together with your hands and feed all at once thru your planer. 1 at a time will not come out square no mater what. Let me know how it works. Paul

Phil, I have a false table I made

that sits on the planer bed. It has 3/4x1 1/4 uprights fastened to it, spaced 3/4 apart. I used to use this when edge planing 3/4x 1 1/2 picture frame stock. Works really well. Don't have a pic handy, but would take one if you want to see it. Steve