Thread: New Rockler Pocket Hole Clamp

New Rockler Pocket Hole Clamp

What type of clamp looks to be the better design in your opinion?
    Any users of each style?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22178

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KHC-RAC-R...3934359&sr=8-1
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have 2 of the Kreg Right Angle clamp (RAC)versions and really like them. I have not used or seen the rockler version in person, but I have a concern that if the clamping pad is not centered or just below the centerline of the piece, that there could be some tipping of the material and therefore misalignment.

I will say that the two clamps appear to be really used in different situations though. - But joint of panels vs. face frame (FF). I have never used the Kreg clamp for clamping FF - I have just used it for plywood case work/ cabinet type stuff and for joining the FF to the carcase. For all FF type work I use a Kreg bench clamp or a Kreg FF clamp clamped really tight to prevent any possible slipping of the joint when driving the screw.
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

According to Rockler's blurb, those only work with 3/4" material so there's one difference - also, regardless of pocket depth (within reason) the Kreg will always bear on the shoulder of the pocket while the Rockler could be mis-adjusted.

It does, however, look like the Rocklers (if using 3/4" material) might be less unwieldy in some cases - I've only used the Kregs though, so can't say for sure... Steve

Oh, also it doesn't say what the angle is on the Rockler, hopefully it's the same as Kreg - whereas the Kreg will adapt to varying angles of pocket holes (not sure how MUCH variance)
    Last edited by Steve Leverich; 01-19-2010 at 9:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Rob that the two clamps are used in different applications so it would be hard to compare.

clamps

I would stick with the face frame clamps from Kreg for face frames, the right angle clamp isn't intended for face frames, as others have said. The tightening knob on the Rockler clamp looks like it would be kind of awkward to tighten, even if it's a ratcheting knob, which I'm not sure if it is or not. The FF clamps from Kreg also ensure the front faces are flush, not so sure this Rockler clamp would also accomplish this.

The Rockler looks to be a well thought out design and I would probably give it a try. Unlike others have said, this unit does appear to serve the same function as the Kreg and appears to hold the case work in alignment very well. I don't typically use pocket screws in casework so take my comments for what they are worth (0).
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

The Rockler is also used for casework.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...20hole%20clamp

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the Kreg, but not the Rockler. The advantage goes to the Kreg IMO. Once you have set the Kreg to the right tension the quick release would be faster than the turnscrew on the Rockler. The Rockler looks nice though.

Having to tighten the hand screw on the Rockler would defeat one of the main reasons for using pocket screws-Quick! The face frame clamps and right angle clamp from Kreg are first class, IMHO.

Ho Ho!

I was laughing at the Rockler design the other day when I saw it for the first time. Imagine standing there and attempting to tighten the clamp while holding two large panels steady. The kreg is a one man, one hand, quick snap on and off. I would only use the Rockler if you have an apprentice you need to keep busy.

I kinda lke some parts of the Rockler design BUT the Kreg has the spped and one hand operations which overrides anything the Rockler has gong for it.