Thread: Another Question DNA

Another Question DNA

If in fact the DNA displaces the water in a rough turned bowl would it be possible to then accelerate the drying process? Maybe a heat box with a light bulb like an incubator. I apologize if this has already been answered. I did a quick search, but didn't see it.

Ray

I would avoid the combo of extra heat and evaporating DNA. No experience doing it, but the idea makes me a little nervous.

Smile

If I remember correctly that is how volcano explosions are caused.

rapid drying DNA

Ah, yes. In the back of my feeble mind, I knew there was something I wasn't thinking about. This may result in a too dry situation. Instead of an Ash bowl, it may become just a pile of Ashes. Thanks for the reminder.

Ray,
    Even after the DNA soak, you will often see cracking if you don't slow the process of drying your piece via a paper bag or a wrap of newspaper, etc.

There was an interesting article in Woodturning Design about using a refrigerator with a light bulb as a "kiln" for bowl blanks. Didn't use DNA, but it sure accelerated the drying process.

Dick hit the nail on the head. Drying should be a slow process. Even if it was safe to do (which it is not) the extra heat will probably ruin it by drying it way to fast.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks all for the replies.

I usually double paper bag it and weigh it every once in awhile till it stops losing weight. Have not lost a piece that way yet......so far..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bistritz View Post
    I usually double paper bag it and weigh it every once in awhile till it stops losing weight. Have not lost a piece that way yet......so far..

And on average this is how long?

Depending on the size of the piece, type of wood, basement conditions, I would have to say 2-3 months as an average. Some may be ready faster but I never rush it.

Ray,
    More important than time is the process where the piece stops losing weight.
    Some woods dry much quicker than others. I have found that when the wood stops losing weight 3-4 days in a row, it is usually stable enough to start finish turning. This can be in as little as 12-14 days or as much as a 30-60 days. Weighing the wrapped piece will give you the clue as when to finish it.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Thanks guys, looks like I need to search around for a postal scale.

Ray