Thread: Eliplog Helix - Set Home

Eliplog Helix - Set Home

Thanks everyone for being so helpful..

Ok, I have a Helix and the home is in a weird place. What's even more strange is the when I go to Turn off X & Y then manually move the arm, the laser knows where the true 0,0 point is (per the lcd display shows x0,y0) but seems to default back to a seemingly random spot for home. Does anyone know where/how to permanently set the home position? The manual seems to be less than helpful on this matter.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Last edited by Adam Craig; 02-03-2010 at 6:04 PM.

Adam,

I had thought I posted a response to your other message yesterday, must've drafted it but didn't posted it.

First things first, make sure you're running the latest driver & firmware, found here: http://www.epiloglaser.com/tech_support.htm Instructions on updating your firmware is in the latest manual.

Second thing: Make sure your machine is booting up properly. With the machine turned off, move the head to center of machine in both x & y. Proper boot sequence is power/beep/y-axis moves towards back, once it reaches rear/x-axis head moves towards left. Once it reaches the back left corner, bar jumps forward/right a little bit, then goes back to it's home position.

The manual covers how to access both x & y home values and states which direction home will move by increasing/decreasing values. Each numerical number represents .001".

Setting home is simple. In a new page in Corel, create a 1/2"X1/2" black filled box in the top left hand corner. Place this box exactly 1" down & 1" left from the top left hand corner of page. "raster" engrave this black filled box on wood or anodized aluminum using the recommended settings.

Measure the distance of box from top & left. Adjust either x or y home values accordingly. Do one at a time, don't try to do both.

For new value to take place, you must save the adjustments to values by pressing go and resend the job.

Tech support will have a written document for this procedure, give them a call at 303.215.9171 if you have any questions.

You should also re-register your new Helix with them while you're at it.

HTH,
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Adam, I had a similar type issue where the head was failing to return to its proper location. For mine it was a simple fix. I had been using settings that came with the printer driver. Say for instance, choosing the recommended settings from the printer driver for wood. As it turned out, it was all to cock and setup for 18x12 mini page sizes. When I used correct settings for the helix page 24x18 helix, the problem was solved. I then went through all the save 'recommended' settings and found more than half were determined for the mini and not the helix.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Awesome! I was able to get it sorted out with your help.. even got to use a little algebra to figure out the proper settings.

Thanks!
    -Adam