Thread: How would you insulate "around" a garage door and is it necessary?

How would you insulate "around" a garage door and is it necessary?

I have been working in my garage this winter. It has been fun to play with the new lathe now that it is working.

I have honestly been having a great time. But... and there is always a but. It does get cold out there. I had the ceiling space insulated this last Christmas. In the last few weeks this has made a nice difference. But it is still not always enough. I have a propane heater out that at the moment that runs full blast and while it does eventually get it warm enough out there it pretty much has to be on all the time I out there. I have felt the breeze coming in around the garage door that is a part of the shop. I have been thinking about what it takes to insulate this in such a way that I can heat the space easier and cheaper.

I have considered closing off the door altogether but that isn't something I am in the mood to give up. Being able to roll things out thru a big door is very nice. Further getting a nice breeze thru in the spring and fall is nice too.

I have considered just wrapping it in plastic for the too cold months. Staple it into the wood plates around the door or something. But even 4mil plastic just doesn't seem thick enough to make a major difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to best seasonally deal with the air leakage at a garage door?

Many Thanks!
    Joshua

Hi,
    I got a vinyl trim from lowes that has a rupper flip on the edge that is made to trim around garage doors on the out side edge of the door. The rubber flap seals to the edge of the door great and keeps warm air in and cold air out. I put it up with a screw about every foot and a half to keep the vinyl from looking warpped.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

The vinyl strip will help. Are the doors insulated?

Be careful sealing the garage too much if you are using a propane heater. There has to be an air exchange or you will run into CO problems, low oxygen problems, and moisture problems.

I would highly recommend the vinyl strips on the exterior that seals up against the door when it closes. If the door is uninsulated they sell commercial kits to insulate them or you can also use extruded polystyrene sheets to limit the heat transfer, easiest way I've found to cut them is with a long exacto knife.

Vinyl strip, and make sure you are using a heater with a low oxygen shutoff safety...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    The vinyl strip will help. Are the doors insulated?...
    I have the vinyl strips and my door is insulated. In addition I have a garage door threshold plate that helps seal the bottom that I bought from California Car Cover (http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1427&cid=30). It helps insulate the bottom and keeps water from blowing under the door when it rains.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    Hi,
    I got a vinyl trim from lowes that has a rupper flip on the edge that is made to trim around garage doors on the out side edge of the door. The rubber flap seals to the edge of the door great and keeps warm air in and cold air out. I put it up with a screw about every foot and a half to keep the vinyl from looking warpped.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

Ditto on the vinyl strips

When I converted the garage into a shop, the first two things I did was:

1) tear down all the old drywall and completely insulate the whole thing
    2) knock out the garage doors (2 car garage) and replace with an insulated out swing double door with handicap sill. I can open one door and go in and out, or unlatch the other door and wheel whatever I want through the resulting 6' opening.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do exactly this all over again.

Once more...molding with vinyl flap. Also, they sell a foam rubber seal that goes on the bottom of the door to help seal the crack between the door and the cement/asphalt apron.
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    1) tear down all the old drywall and completely insulate the whole thing
    2) knock out the garage doors (2 car garage) and replace with an insulated out swing double door with handicap sill.
    Cool. I was thinking I would do the same thing. Get the walls insulated as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dinerstein View Post
    Cool. I was thinking I would do the same thing. Get the walls insulated as thoroughly as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Joshua
    Don't forget to insulate the garage ceiling.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Don't forget to insulate the garage ceiling.
    And the doors!

I am not totally done with mine yet, but so far, I have the ceiling done, the door seals done, and one of the doors halfway done. I am not liking using the Reflectix, and am planning on ripping it out in favor of the Owens Corning garage door insulation kits...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My extra garage is my train room and I am filling every nook and cranny with spray foam, using the seals on the garage door. the walls and ceiling was insulated when I built the house.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

I am doing this now. Started off with putting the rock on the ceilings, then blown in insulation on in between the ceiling joists. Next was insulation between the studs and 3/4" wood paneling on top of that. Next was tearing out the old 16' garage door and replacing it with a insulated double window and an 8' insulated garage door that goes all the way up to my 10' ceiling height. I can already tell a big difference in the temps in the morning and I do not have any heat yet. Next up is insulating the floor and new DC and I will be in done.

I was just thinking about some sort of insulated blanket that could be put up for the winter and taken down when warm, or if you needed to use the big door. I have a 10*10 steel insulated door with the vinyl strips. All of the walls and the ceiling are insulated and I have a garage heater that vents outside. It works fine.
    Scott