Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hook and Loop ROS

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    Since my wife and I work together in the shop, we have been considering picking up a second ROS. Of course the question comes up, what brand?
    The PC333 has a high amp rating, 2.4, but has only five holes. Are 8 hole disks a lot better? A little better? If we buy and 8 hole sander, we need to double stock sanding disks. What about variable speed? Is there much advantage to a VS ROS?

Thanks
    I have both PC333s--VS and non-VS. I can't say I've really seen the need for the VS, but I think that if you ever have to sand a veneer (something I can't say I've done recently), the VS might be nice. VS doesn't allow you to ADD any speed, it only slows you down from the non-VS model. Like I said above, I've only had to replace the pad once, and as I remember now, it's because a friend used it for a short time without sandpaper (it was close to needing replacement, he finished it off).

As for the 5-hole arrangement, 8 may be better, I don't know. I can tell you this: I've used a 5-hole 333 for sanding drywall before, 6+ hours at a stretch. This was over a hardwood floor, and there was no appreciable dust on the floor when I was done. I didn't have white boogers when I was done (I didn't need a dust mask/respirator). At times, I would see wafts of dust get sucked up through the shroud just around the pad. So, in my opinion, 5- versus 8-hole is a non-issue with good suction attached to the tool. The stock bags or canisters are a joke; they collect maybe 10% of the dust. Hope this helps!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Since my wife and I work together in the shop, we have a whole collection of Random Orbital Sanders.

An antique that vibrates the operator more than the sandpaper. Forget it

Two Makita 5 inch 8 hole variable speed. I really liked this unit, so bought a second (and a third for my brother). These sanders eat the hooks, but otherwise are pretty good. Close to $100 each

A cheap single speed Ryobi 5 inch 8 hole. Not worth even the low $25 price

A Ridgid "quarter sheet" single speed. This has become my favorite, because of the ease of getting into corners. The square area also reduces my desire to put curves into my surfaces by pressing on the edge of the sanding disk. Dust collection is surprisingly good for the "built in" dust collection - a gizmo comes with the sander to punch 6 holes in the paper after it is on. Occasionally I want a less-aggressive cut, so I just use old paper or finer grit since the sander is single speed. About $50.

John,

Get the DW...it has eight holes and leaves very little dust behind. Hook it up to a shop vac and it leaves none. It's also more well built I think and doesn't have the hook and loop problems.

They now make sandpaper discs with eight large holes so that it fits both 5 & 8 hole sanders. More is better for dust collection.

I had the same problem with my PC 333. The hooks wore off. I check on replacing the pad, it was $20 plus shipping.

I was in Costco the other day, they had the DeWalt 421 ROS for $29. I bought that. My PC sits unused at the moment.

By the way, which stores carry replacement pads?

john lawson

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson
    By the way, which stores carry replacement pads?
    I found mine at Lowe's. But it's not the whole pad, it's just an after-market, glue-on replacement for the hooks. You sand off the old hooks, then glue on a new sheet of hooks (glue and 2 sheets of hooks supplied). Trim to diameter, and you're done.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Home Depot

I found the PC brand replacement pad for my PC333 at HomeDepot yesterday. $14.96