Thread: Rockler Pipe Clamps

Rockler Pipe Clamps

Rockler has a sale going on right now that has their pipe clamps at $8.99. I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price since I have virtually no clamps to speak of.

My real question is should I spring for their neat zinc coated pipes or just use the standard hardware store black pipes?

I think that regular black pipe works just fine, I have been using that for many years without any problems. It boils down to what fits your personal taste, the zinc would slide more smoothly I think

My understanding is that black pipe is better to use for clamps than galvanized. The Rockler clamps are nice, too...the "feet" were a good addition to the design. The Irwin pipe clamps have the same feature that puts both of these ahead of Pony in my book if you want to work with pipe clamps.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The main thing I'm looking for is a usable and affordable clamp that will hold me (no pun intended) until I can find some Besseys on sale.I wonder what my clamp collection will look like a year from now.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Jim , The Big Foot Rocklers are a nice clamp. I have 6 of them.

I haven't looked at the price tag on the Zinc , but as Jim says Galvanized is NG. It will slip under load. The voice of experience.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks for the tip Jim. I was planning on buying some of those anyway, now the sale is forcing me to buy them now. I also found a site that was selling Besseys really cheap. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Thumbs down

Maybe I'm missing something here but out of 18 pipe clamps only 4 are black pipe & I hate them them they leave marks on the material unless you put something like foam pipe insulation over it as a spacer. I'll be taking the sliding end of my pipe clamps & checking out the galvanized pipe. I've never had a problem with galvanized pipe slipping. Maybe they have changed the diameter in the last few years.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-19-2004 at 9:41 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I've been eyeballing

those pipe clamps for some time. If I didn't have so many now I would probably get a dozen or so. All they had listed was 3/4. Couldn't find any 1/2.
    I am about to choke on clamps now. But still find myself running out of some types.

Steve

Go to Home Depot. Buy the long lenght of pipe, They will cut and thread for free...

Much cheaper than buying precut pieces from WW stores.

Some of the newer pipe has a smoother surface. You should try one piece before you buy a lot.
    Bartee Lamar

I've been replacing my pipe clamps with rocklers. I bought a couple of the zinc pipes I like them better than black pipe. leaves no marks and clamps slide easier. I won't replace all my black pipe would be alittle to expensive
    Mike

I'd also like to chime in...

The rockler pipe clamps are great. I don't have any bessies, jorgies, or GS so that's what I use for ALL of my glue ups... if you alternate the clamps (couple on bottom, couple on top) and it'll glue up a panel pretty darn flat.

I work with a lot of white oak and the black pipes leave all kinds of marks where they contact the pipe, the zinc galvanized pipe leaves no marks.

I also like the pre-drilled holes to be able to fasten guards to the clamp faces so the clamp won't mar the piece.

In fact, I'm going to get some more today...

Thanks for all of the advice. I bit the bullet and placed an order for 10 clamps with matching zinc pipes. I also grabbed a router plate and template for the PC895PK I just got. My old Craftsman 1/2 sheet sander is about to give up the ghost so I got a PC330 too.

It's time to build something.

Jim, you won't be sorry you ordered the Rockler clamps. They are Great! I recently purchased four of them, and went to Home Depot and purchased four 10ft sections of the galv pipe which was much cheaper than the 4 ft section of zinc pipe Rockler is selling. I also got them to cut the 10 ft length into two sections 6 ft and 4 ft and they threaded all the ends for free. For 90c I also picked up pipe couplings so I can join two or more sections of the pipe together.

I've used the clamps quite a bit, and I've never experienced any slippage. If anything, I've noticed that the teeth on the adjustable end of the clamps digs into the galv pipe quite well and needs to be tapped with a hammer to release after the clamp is removed from the piece.
    When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
    Henry J. Kaiser