Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Mk. II Sharp Sys. Review

Thumbs up Veritas Mk. II Sharp Sys. Review

With some of the hope chest profits, I decided to purchase the Veritas Mk. II sharpening system. It just came to the house today and I managed to get it up and running. For those of you interested in a sharpening system, all I have to say is that this one is mighty impressive. I’m relatively new to the world of sharp tools so I don’t know how much my opinion counts, but this is a very nice and easy to use system.

In the past I’ve used the scary sharp method to keep things usable around my shop. This is basically the same idea, only with a motor that spins a table with the sand paper. Four basic grits are used, though I did not use the 80 grit. This is only used to repair damaged edges. Let’s just say that this system makes light work of sharpening. Once you get the back of the blade lapped, it’s a matter of minutes (2-3) and you have a highly polished cutting edge. It comes with a 56 page manual that is very clear and easy to follow.

The only block plane I own is an el cheepo from Home Depot. I decided to flatten the bottom on the Mk. II and polish it up to the highest grit. Wow, did that do wonders!!! After getting a nice edge on the blade, I was cutting paper thin shavings at will – with a piece of junk plane, no less?!

In my spending spree, I also decided to get the Veritas Scraping Plane. Again, I’m no expert, but after putting a nice edge on the blade, I was making some wonderful looking shavings!!!

Overall, I give the MK. II 4 out of 4 stars! Great tool so far. We’ll see how it holds up over time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the review, Jason.

It looks like LV has been watching the craft and has filled a need - an electric scary sharp system. I had been considering the Mikita sharpening system that has been praised here on the forum, now you have given my a decision to make.
    Best Regards, Ken

Thanks Jason,

i have been eyeing both of those items from LV. I was wonering how the sharpener works with gouges? I have heard nothing but good things about that scraper. I hear it is a much improved desighn over the stanley. keep us posted as you get more hours on both tools.
    Joe

Looks like a nice system. And you purchased from?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Looks like a nice system. And you purchased from?
    Steve
    As far as I know, only Lee Valley sells Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    That's what I was thinking but don't know if others sell Veritas also.
    Lee Valley is great to deal with. I have been pondering some other items from their flyers, so I'll slide through the phone line now and give this sharpening system a checkover.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Lee Valley is where I got it from. I've purchased some smaller Veritas items from Woodcraft, but I don't think you can buy the Mk. II there. I think only at Lee Valley.

Jason, congrats on a couple beautiful pieces! I've heard a lot of good stuff on the sharpener; Appears to be true! As for the scraper, there too, some people are actually saying it's nicer than (sacrilege coming... ) LN scraper for a LOT less $$. Have you had a chance to try the scraper with any real figured wood? At any rate, great scores and thanks much for the appraisal!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jayson:
    Congrads on the new system and a great revue. I was wondering if it will sharpen 6" jointer blades?
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Just got back from cruising Lee Valley. Put the sharpening system and extra discs on my WISH LIST, for later ordering.

Steve

Just got back from cruising Lee Valley. Put the sharpening system and extra discs on my WISH LIST, for later ordering.

Steve
    Early Christmas present to yourself, Steve?! That's OK...I understand!
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 10-19-2004 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Steve, I bought the extra discs, but I don't think I would again. In the manual it tells you to put one grit on one side, and the other on the other side. 4 grits, 2 discs - the math works out Well, dummy me, I didn't know this was an option and that's why I bought the extra two discs. So I wouldn't worry about the extra discs if that's why you were going that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Selke
    Jayson:
    Congrads on the new system and a great revue. I was wondering if it will sharpen 6" jointer blades?
    I don't think so, but necessity is the mother of invention - or - where there's a will there's a way. I think one of those proverbs works

Thumbs up

Jason,

I am going to look into this I was looking at the tormax system and I think its a little pricey. I made the mistake of buying the delta sharp-er- dulling system. Oh and I love the plane be sure and post how well it works !

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    ... I've purchased some smaller Veritas items from Woodcraft ...
    I stand corrected. I was unaware that Lee Valley contracted to anyone else sell to Veritas tools(which are, of course, made by Lee Valley).