Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas Mk. II Sharp Sys. Review

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I stand corrected. I was unaware that Lee Valley contracted to anyone else sell to Veritas tools(which are, of course, made by Lee Valley).
    According to Rob Lee, they are two different (but related) companies. Lee Valley is a retailer and has some house products that are usually contracted out for manufacturing. Veritas is a manufacturing company that builds products. Lee Valley sells the entire Veritas line.

You see lots of smaller Veritas items at many of the retailers. Especially the marking gauges and sharpening jigs. I haven't seen the MKII anywhere but Lee Valley.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Jason, congrats on a couple beautiful pieces! I've heard a lot of good stuff on the sharpener; Appears to be true! As for the scraper, there too, some people are actually saying it's nicer than (sacrilege coming... ) LN scraper for a LOT less $$. Have you had a chance to try the scraper with any real figured wood? At any rate, great scores and thanks much for the appraisal!
    Thanks John. I haven't tried it on any figured wood yet. I'm just reading through the manual right now on how to better sharpen the blade. The other little matter that I need to figure out is how to use this tool when I don't have a workbench to hold the wood I'll try my Bessy K-body trick to see if that will work, but otherwise I'm just going to have to break down and either get a bench or build one. You certainly can't have a scraping plane and not have bench

Jason, I bought the Mk.II last Christmas for LOML. She does some carving and was having a difficult time keeping her tools sharp. She absolutely loves the machine! As is everything that I have seen from Veritas, the Mk.II is top quality!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    According to Rob Lee, they are two different (but related) companies. Lee Valley is a retailer and has some house products that are usually contracted out for manufacturing. Veritas is a manufacturing company that builds products. Lee Valley sells the entire Veritas line.

You see lots of smaller Veritas items at many of the retailers. Especially the marking gauges and sharpening jigs. I haven't seen the MKII anywhere but Lee Valley.

Jay
    They are very related in that the Veritas design/manuafacturing plant and the Lee Valley flagship store are located at the same site in Ottawa.

Thanks for the review, Jason. I've had the MK II for several months and think it's a great system, especially for those of us who find the scary sharp method a bit tedious. I really appreciate having a power tool to do a job I don't find to be much fun. (With apologies to those who find such things relaxing.)

I have seen Veritas stuff at some retailers, including Japan Woodworker, which I visited last week while in San Francisco, and which has a ton of the stuff.

Shortly after I got the system, I emailed LV cs and was told they have no plans to make any sort of attachment for sharpening jointer and/or planer blades. Too bad-I think they'd sell a ton.

Again-nice write-up.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    They are very related in that the Veritas design/manuafacturing plant and the Lee Valley flagship store are located at the same site in Ottawa.
    Since I can't link to another site, I'll send you a PM with Rob's post. It makes it clear as mud.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Early Christmas present to yourself, Steve?! That's OK...I understand!
    Hmmm. Guess it is kinda early for Christmas. How about a STEALTH Gloat?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Steve, I bought the extra discs, but I don't think I would again. In the manual it tells you to put one grit on one side, and the other on the other side. 4 grits, 2 discs - the math works out Well, dummy me, I didn't know this was an option and that's why I bought the extra two discs. So I wouldn't worry about the extra discs if that's why you were going that way.
    I plan to buy 1 each of the grits that come with the machine as extras.
    80-150 and 350-1200 I think. CR. ha
    So there are only two plates, with a disc on each side. It doesn't show that in the pics. So do you think the discs will last a long time?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Hmmm. Guess it is kinda early for Christmas. How about a STEALTH Gloat?

Steve
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....You dog, you! You're already ordering that bad boy, aren't you?! Guess if I did more neander work, I'd look closer at it. Still, it'd be neat to have!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    This system got very hi marks from my Neander Instructor. He brought it to class several times and let us play. It was the Ideal item for beating our flea market specials into submission.

After the electron burn, we had to work our way up with water stones. Great toyl. On my wish list too.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    I plan to buy 1 each of the grits that come with the machine as extras.
    80-150 and 350-1200 I think. CR. ha
    So there are only two plates, with a disc on each side. It doesn't show that in the pics. So do you think the discs will last a long time?
    Steve
    Steve, the owners manual says that the 4mm disc is to have 80 grit on one side and the 150 grit on the other side. The 3mm disc gets the two higher grits, one per side. I didn't know you could do this either, so I bought an extra 4mm and 3mm disc which are not really needed unless I want to use other grits. For highly polished blades, they recommend taking an old dress shirt, attatching it to the 3mm disc with spray adhesive, and using the green honing compound to get the blade extra sharp - perhaps even "scary" sharp

The 1200 grit is going to wear out the fastest for obvious reasons. As a result, if you order a system, I'd get a more 350/1200 than anything else to have as back up. Right now, I haven't changed the paper yet, and it's still going strong after a number of chisels and two plane blades.

Not being able to link: At the top of page 7, in the Shop Shots section of WoodCentral, is a good write up of a visit Ellis made to Lee Valley/Veritas recently. Good read.

George

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Steve, the owners manual says that the 4mm disc is to have 80 grit on one side and the 150 grit on the other side. The 3mm disc gets the two higher grits, one per side. I didn't know you could do this either, so I bought an extra 4mm and 3mm disc which are not really needed unless I want to use other grits. For highly polished blades, they recommend taking an old dress shirt, attatching it to the 3mm disc with spray adhesive, and using the green honing compound to get the blade extra sharp - perhaps even "scary" sharp

The 1200 grit is going to wear out the fastest for obvious reasons. As a result, if you order a system, I'd get a more 350/1200 than anything else to have as back up. Right now, I haven't changed the paper yet, and it's still going strong after a number of chisels and two plane blades.
    I'll have to go back and see if I actually ordered [put on wish list]the discs or PLATES? as extra. I think it was the actual sanding disc's that go on the plates. CRS.
    I am in the house and don't have the Lee Valley link here. It's on the shop puter, where I do most of my net cruising.
    I haven't punched the order button yet, but will today.

I've copied a post from Lyn Mangiamelli over on Woodcentral dealing with what kind of accessories for the Mk.II might be useful. Hope I'm not breaking any rules. Tony

"It depends a little on whether you already have some sort of grinder or verticle belt sander to do very coarse geometry changes. If you don't, then I'd suggest getting an extra 4mm platter to put 36-40 Zirconium grit abrasves on one side and 60 grit on the other. This will make initial set up of your blades a lot quicker, cooler and less frustating. Lee Valley doesn't sell these grades, but you can get them through the Supergrit Catalog (not always findable on their website). Get a catalog here:
    (link to Supergrit removed)

I'd also recommend getting a second 4mm platter to mount the intermdiate "medium" (120/220)grit sizes LV offers but doesn't include (Supergrit offers the same thing for cheaper prices).

The reason on this end is that you want to go immediately to these medium-coarse grits for minor geometry changes and small nicks. Since it is so easy to switch platters, I recommend making more brief small steps, than spending more time on larger steps.

On the finer end of the spectrum I recommend getting at least one 3mm platter and obtaining 5 and .5 micron PSA paper sheets from LV (or .3 micron from Joel). Just apply the paper and trip out the hole and aroud the edges with an Xacto or similar blade. If you really want to splurge use a seperate platter for each, to reduce contamination, which is more significant in these finer grits. Life of these finer grits is more limited and can be extended with honing compound (but at the cost of even easier contamination as the wax base of the compounds lets everything stick to it), thus you want to use them only breifly after preliminary preperation is done on the regular fine grits.

I recommend you store all your platters in individual zip lock bags, or seperate containers you can obtain from jewelry supply outlets.

Know in advance that initial preparation of you blades on the QPSS will seem a dirty and hot task if you are making geometry changes (likely, if for no other reason than to match them to your precision jig) and grinding a lot of tools. This will actually be an unusual event, as soon you will be doing little more than quick maintainance of your edge, when the heat of grinding and grit will be almost nonexistant.

I still use mine constantly, and just love it."
    Tony