Thread: HF Dust Collector Remote Alternative

HF Dust Collector Remote Alternative

The HF Dust Collection Remote System is discontinued. Does anyone know the most economical alternative?

The remote I use for my delta dust collector was very economical, I have a long stick that usually sits under the right hand side of my table saw and when I want the DC on I pick it up and use it to flick the switch on the DC. Had not failed me yet.

Probably not the answer you wanted but it is SO approved due to cost savings.

Lol, I actually am looking for the remote more to save the switch on the HF unit than I am for convienence. I have heard the switch failures are pretty common.

I wired a switch with outlet to the wall. Lot easier to reach than bending down to get to the one on the DC.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-22-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use X10 remotes.

An inexpensive solution that I think is more convenient than a remote is to use a relay like this:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=PB1009-ND
    It can power on and off a 30 amp 240 V circuit, more than required for the HF DC. This one costs $11.76, and there are lots of other options. Just search for "power relay".

Since it can be switched on and off using 12 v DC, you can cheaply and safely wire switches all over your shop near each stationary machine. If you use three conductor wiring, with 3-way switches at the start and end of the run, with 4-way switches in between, you can turn the DC on or off with any switch at any time. If there is any question of how the wiring would work, here's an animation:
    http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/switches/4WayAnimation.html

I don't like remotes because they are yet another thing to keep track of. I like that switches stay where I put them. I used doorbell wire for the 12 v switches around my shop. I have a separate switch to turn on the power, so the relay can't accidentally be turned on.

When I did my Christmas lights this year I saw a remote unit that was rated for 15 amps at 120v and had a 30 yard range. You didn't say how much your DC draws, but at ~$20 it wouldn't hurt to try if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    When I did my Christmas lights this year I saw a remote unit that was rated for 15 amps at 120v and had a 30 yard range. You didn't say how much your DC draws, but at ~$20 it wouldn't hurt to try if you can find one.
    1hp = 746 watts (+/-)

Divide your total wattage by 110 (volts). That gives you amperage.

My (rated) 2HP comes out to 13.6A, but ... a cushion of about 20% is recommended, particularly for things like startup surge.

Does anyone know what the HF unit cost when it was an active SKU?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    Does anyone know what the HF unit cost when it was an active SKU?
    I bought this one about 6 months ago for about 7 or 8 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bidwell View Post
    I bought this one about 6 months ago for about 7 or 8 bucks.
    Yup thats the one. They no longer sell it...Dang thats cheap.

I have replaced the switch on the HF DC motor once. Shipping was as much as the switch. The DC unit will be switched on the wall in the new shop. No more gettin' on the knees to turn the DC off and on, and no lookin' for the remote.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I use this one, Woods 32555, which I got at the local farm & barn store for about $9. That was a few years back but I can't believe they've more than doubled in price. I've never looked there for one but possibly HF or Lowes has something very similar.