Thread: Planer for flatening boards

Planer for flatening boards

Ok, I just made a cutting board, glued it up, and now need to plane. Why cant I use the planer to get one side flat, then put that flat side to the bed to get parellel sides? I understand with a board you need to joint to get cups, bows, etc out, but a cutting board is short, and already the wood is machined to flat for the glue up. Anyone else do it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Ok, I just made a cutting board, glued it up, and now need to plane. Why cant I use the planer to get one side flat, then put that flat side to the bed to get parellel sides? I understand with a board you need to joint to get cups, bows, etc out, but a cutting board is short, and already the wood is machined to flat for the glue up. Anyone else do it this way?
    You can do it this way. I sometimes do it this way, especially for raised panels.. There is a caveat though.. Sometimes you will get a bow along the length of the board. This seems to happen less on a glue up (as opposed to a single board).

The planer does a poor job of removing a bend in the middle of a single board lengthwise.

It seems that if you glue up a few "less than perfectly flat" boards and run them through the planer, it usually comes out fine. I often do this method to save time, especially if I am starting with S2S stock.. I will edge join for the glue up, but that's it.

I will warn you though, most of the time, it is fine, but sometimes it doesn't come out perfect.. Although even if you face join every piece of wood, sometimes it will also warp after planing.