Thread: What doesn't glue stick to?

What doesn't glue stick to?

I'm in the planning stages for building a coffee table, and was thinking about trying bent lamination for the first time. I'd like to use my vacuum press for the 2" x 2" legs that will be bent, and was thinking about making the form. Instead of doing 4 individual pressings, I thought it would be easier to do all 4 at once. But how would you all recommend separating the 4 legs so the glue doesn't adhere to the leg next to it?

Would wax paper work? Or should I make some 1/4" spacers and thoroughly coat them with paste wax? Or should I make some plexiglass spacers?

Thanks!

I always use "new" wax paper, especially when using epoxies. Seems like the reused product tends to lose it's lack of friction....

Mac

I use clear 2" packing tape. Wax paper will soak through.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    I don't think most glues will stick to or soak through plain old plastic wrap.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not sure about soaking through, but one of the most stick-resistant things I've seen is the parchment paper used for baking. It's impregnated with silicone, but I'm not sure if any would be transferred to your workpiece.

Freezer paper is plastic lined paper. It's water proof and I use it for making templates for window tinting since you can spray water on it. You'd have to fold it so the plastic liner is on both sides. It's designed so stuff doesn't stick to it.

People from the woodsmith shop use clear packing tape to line their cauls so glue doesn't stick.

+1 for 2" packing tape. Your get the benifit of it staying wher you put it and a guarantee it wont allow glue to stick.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Packing tape! Duh! I've actually used it before, for glue ups - I guess I was overthinking it. Thanks guys!

I glue up with painters tape. Comes off a whole lot easier than packing tape. Also won't tear veneers on plywood.

Based on the results of my last glue-up, Id have to say WOOD.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]