Thread: planing with shelix head

planing with shelix head

The "chips" produced by my shelix head seem to be sticking to my outfeed roller which leaved "dents in my planed stock. Is this a symptom of this type of cutter, or do you think I am lacking in dust control capacity?

It's conceivable that it's airflow related. Normally it's not an issue for me but I had it happen when the hose slipped off the dust hood.

dust collection. Can you add a plate to divert most chips towards your dust collector duct? The Grizzy machines come with that installed.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    The "chips" produced by my shelix head seem to be sticking to my outfeed roller which leaved "dents in my planed stock. Is this a symptom of this type of cutter, or do you think I am lacking in dust control capacity?
    I've noticed a similar thing. I have a Grizzly 15" planer w/ their own brand of spiral cutterhead. I had posted some time ago about my issue as well and was told it was probably dust collection.

I have a Jet 1100 DC and it does a great job...8 foot flex hose sitting right in the middle of all my dust makers. I've taken the top off the planer and made sure the chip deflector was adjusted to the recommended gap to eliminate this issue.

I still have the issue to some extent. I've only every planed ash and cherry and both seem to get little pieces pressed into the wood - cherry more than the ash.

Feed rate and depth of cut play a big part as well. Feed slower and take less off per pass and it should help.

i have had zero problems with this

and i have that 15" grizzly planer with their factory spiral head.

I modified the factory 4" dust port on the planer to 6" and have it connected to a 5hp clearvue - I have run all sorts of wood through it taking shallow to deep cuts and have never seen anything like this even once.

so from my one data point i think the issue is inadequate air flow through the planer shroud

Maybe that's the trick: wider outlet for DC.

I've got other issues going on too, though. I never really put the dial indicator on the table and checked head/table tolerance from side to side. I have a strong pull to the left side of the machine when feeding boards.

I'm probably not a good person to comment since I think I have some niggles to work out yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    and i have that 15" grizzly planer with their factory spiral head.

I modified the factory 4" dust port on the planer to 6" and have it connected to a 5hp clearvue - I have run all sorts of wood through it taking shallow to deep cuts and have never seen anything like this even once.

so from my one data point i think the issue is inadequate air flow through the planer shroud
    Agreed, I don't have a blast gate installed on the TS but do on all other machines. I run 6" flex off the main line then reduce down to 4 right at the planer. I cleaned the filter, then plugged the TS line with a towel. NO DENTS NOW! Guess I need to get that blast gate on the TS.
    Thanks!