Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campeachy Chair

Campeachy Chair

Hi all, this is my first post here.
    I have been looking for measured drawings of a Campeachy Chair. I've spent over 4 hours searching the net, found lots of pictures and some places that sell this style of chair but no drawings.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim

Campeachy Chair

Places that SELL a particular design are naturally reluctant to give away the information needed to duplicate it. Many galleries of woodwork design or other art make it difficult or impossible to obtain images which someone might use to copy the design.

Campeachy Chair

Thank you Phillip, There was an article in Fine Woodworking with drawings, though not full scale. I'm still trying to find some.
    Jim

James,
    Were the drawings in FWW complete enough for you to scale them up? I assume you have the issue you need, if not, tell me the issue and I will make you a copy. I have them all from #1.
    fmr

Campeachy Chair

Hi Faust,
    The drawings on FWW were at their web site,I don't know the issue #, nor do I get the magazine. Tim Killen did an article on Williamsburg and hand tools and had drawings in the article. He made the drawings from a picture imported into Sketch-Up. This helped, but their not measured drawings and I am completely Sketch-Up challenged. I was able to save the drawings into my picture files, and that's as far as I got.
    What I'm looking for are measured drawings, they don't have to be full scale, I can have them enlarged. Thank you,
    Jim

Campeachy Chair

Hi Don, Thank you for responding.
    I have seen the article in FWW and the drawings. I am Sketch-Up challenged.
    I have been able to save the drawings.
    What I would really like to have are measured drawings, so far this has not been an easy task. Thanks again ,Jim

This was the subject of Working wood in the eighteen century at Williamsburg. All attendees were given plans for the chair. Sorry, but I threw mine away after returning home, since I have no desire to build one. There are a couple people on this forum that were in attendance, maybe someone will send you a copy of the plans.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Campeachy Chair

Thank you Bob, I've had no offers yet.
    Jim

James,

My name is Todd. I am using my wifes old account to post. I am still waiting for an e-mail to finish my registration.

I previously worked restoring Thomas Jeffersons retreat home in Forest, VA. It is called Poplar Forest.

I have built several of these chairs over the last few years. I have 1/4" hardboard templates of all the pieces. I could trace these onto craft paper and mail them to you. You should be able to reproduce the chair with these in combination with the dimensions from FWW.

The only thing I ask in return is for you to forward them to any other member that might be interested and then they could do the same.

The picture is the only one I still have. It is the prototype I built in cherry. It really needs a foot stool. I used flexible plywood for the seat. I have not tried to upholster it yet, I'm not so sure the tacks will hold in it. I switched to webbing for the seat on the next ones. I attach cleats to the sides, top and bottom with small dados for the webbing to fit through. I first attach webbing top to bottom and then weave side to side. I use high density foam and then leather.

PM me if interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Caron Miller; 02-10-2010 at 9:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm interested!

I would love to get a copy of the plans!

13. I'd appreciate a copy of the plans if possible.

14. campeche chair plans

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm interested!
    I saw a post from 2010 about campeche chair plans from another member.
    Were you ever able to get a copy ?

15. I have been looking for plans for this chair for a couple of weeks. I know this is reviving an old thread, but can anyone help me?