Thread: Struggling over a Festool purchase.

Struggling over a Festool purchase.

Ok I`ll admit. The Festool bug has bit. Besides I need another T shirt.
    The aresenal thus far includes
    CT22
    150/3
    Rotex
    DS400
    300 jigsaw

Ok, here`s the deal.

The AT55 seems like it would most likely be useful for sheet goods. Something I don`t do to much of. But then it would be nice to use for cabinet backs etc. Been using a PC 314 and a straight edge.
    So I am kinda so so on this. Am I being short sighted on this tool ?

A MFT looks good. Lot`s of clamping methods. Likely to be useful with the 1010 for dados and such. A good sanding table also. But here again there is a workbench in the shop with a couple vises and lots of dog holes.

Now the new TDK drills sound good. The chucks are a plus when you need the extra room. Not sure I understand the Nova bit system interchange. Controlled depth and countersink ? But here again 2 DeWalys and a Hitachi 14.4 are always standing buy for service. One with a drill bit and the other with a screwdriver bit. Now how long will the Festool batteries last. ?? are they warranted for 3 years also. The Hitachi @ 69.00 is a disposable tool. So when those batteries die I`ll just buy another drill. Maybe Festool replacements are cheaper to replace ?? Or are they really that much better to use ?

As they say in the movies, I am confused. I can see the advantages to each tool. But at the same time there are other ways of doing the same job. The decsion is doubly hard when you don`t have a dealer that you can simply go and touch and feel each tool........

Help me out guys. I want to contribute to Bob`s retirement fund but how ??

2000 router is VERY tempting. But perhaps overkill with the OT 1400 coming out. If I bought one it would be for hand held use only. Is it really "to big" for typical shop uses ? Or would I be better off waiting for the 1400 ? Considering that there is a PM S27 5hp shaper with a feeder in the shop. Good assortment of tooling also.

LS130 Linear sander. Seems to be a love/hate. Some have bought it and promptly returned it. Other swear by it. Guess it boils down to how/what you use it for. Most my projects are furniture related. So sanding moldings etc . would be about it. Then here again, sanding sponges work pretty well also.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Which ever way you jump will be into a bed of Roses with the only thorn being the price tag. That doesn't seem to be an issue so start hoppin.

Next on my list is the........ .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

You state that you don't do a whole lot of sheetgoods. OK. There are alternatives to that system, anyway. BUT, that drill. My oh my, that drill! I've owned a Dewalt for a long time and have a few others, but NONE get used as much as the Festool! Those interchangeable heads are absolutely incredible and are, hands down, the best and handiest accessories I've ever owned! You won't feel sorry for THAT purchase!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

The more I use my ATF55, the more I love it. I glued up a tabletop the other day, 30" x 8' of yeller pine. I got out the guide rail and the "I can't drive" ATF"55", and the cuts on both ends were like glass. I was upset because the end grain will be hidden by breadboards end. Oh well. So, the ATF55 cuts just as well on solid stock as it does sheet goods... (maybe better).

I have the MFT also. It, however, for me anyways, is a jobsite table. If I had the room in the shop, I would already have had a permanent bench with underneath storage.

On the other hand, based on your current inventory, it appears as if you are well on your way to having the lot of Festool's offering... If that's the case - flip a coin!!

LS130 - I wouldn't bother. I have one and am considering Ebaying it. It is a very gentle action and I cannot see any advantage over a sanding sponge in either speed or capabilities.

Just my two pennorth.

I dont know what to tell you. I have been fighting against the desire to buy the Rotex with the vacum. I need to improve my sanding dust collection but have a hard time writing the check..or plastic..for something in that price range(considering the PC sander I have now works great...and cost 60 bucks).

Good luck with your purchase....

A lot to be said for a Big handheld router. The extra weight makes the thing safer by giving you more control. Here's my thoughts----the weight gives you more of a advantage over grain and less likely to drift. I bought a Big Makita D handel last year and am very happy with the amount of control I have. I use it to run bigger bits on smaller surfaces. Makeing sure the peice is clamped down. Or the big stuff --like table tops--that are getting to heavy to pick up. I just find the extra weight gives me more control over the tool.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

ATF55...excellent, no question, and I suspect it's use will grow over time well beyond whacking up sheet goods, which I also do infrequently

MFT...I was sceptical at first, but after getting a chance to use it, it may enter the shop one of these days.

TDK drill/drivers...my order is about to go in for the 12v "set" with all the chucks

OF 1400 EQ Plus...my order will go in as soon as it's available in the US

OF 2000...very nice machine, but way too big and bulky for anything I'd ever want to do. (And I have a PC 7518 in my table already)

I'm also considering the OF 1010 for dovetailing and a few other things where a smaller, more compact tool would be advantagious even over the 1400...but time will tell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It would be nice to be in your position where I already had all the Festool tools that I could see a use for. But, I am not.

I can tell you that the circular saw is good for a LOT more than sheet goods. For instance, I started a thread last week (see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12900) where I showed how I used it to rip long boards.

I have the AFT55 and it is great! I am currently using it to install laminate flooring in my son's new home. It works great on rips and crosscuts. I screwed a strip of wood to the cutting table so all the cuts are at 90 degrees.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

John,

I think you won't regret the purchase of any of these tools so it's really hard to decide.
    Personally, I'd opt for the 12 V TDK package which includes the right angle and the eccentric chuck.
    Reason: The special offer is "only" valid till the end of November and all other tools are regularly priced.

Hope this helps,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Hi there,

I have an ATF-55, CT-22, OF-1010 and the MFT 1080. The combination of the ATF-55 and the MFT means you get the capability of a table saw, SCMS and even some stuff a radial saw will do. Plus, I keep finding new uses for the MFT every day.

While I do work a fair bit with sheet goods, I have also worked solid pieces as well for things like rough and finish framing. Of course, the ATF, because of the diamater of its blade is somewhat limited in how deeply it can cut, but I haven't found it to be too much of a problem.

Would I like one of those TDK drill/drivers? You bet! But I kinda blew the budget when I bought the router, and the LR-32 hole drilling system (plus the 2700mm rail).
    Be seeing you,

Jerry [Road Warrior] /smc