Thread: New SuperNova 2 Chuck

New SuperNova 2 Chuck

Last night at the turners mtg we got to have a hands on the new SuperNova 2 and the new little chuck, the one with the tommy bars. That Nova 2 is a sweet looking chuck and is it heavy. Of course the big thing is the hex turn key in place of the wobble stick that is used now. They are both all chrome except the Nova 2 has a black plastic cover that is over the back of the chuck to keep out dust. Very nice new chuck. It looks like the Nova 2 has the insert built right into it which makes it nice not having to buy another one. But it restricts it to one brand/type of lathe. If you are looking for a 2nd chuck body to use with different jaws, this would make a nice on.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Thanks for the review Dick. I have been pondering on a second chuck for reasons that you stated in another post. So not to have to change jaws so much.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

John Szarek Guest
    Thanks for the review. I have the SuperNova and like it, was a little worried they might break something that did not need fixing. Instead it sounds like they improved it.

Nova2 inserts

Dick, when you wrote:

'It looks like the Nova 2 has the insert built right into it which makes it nice not having to buy another one. But it restricts it to one brand/type of lathe.'

I had to check it out. I own 2 SuperNova's with three inserts (2 1X8, 1 1 1/4x8, for a Jet Mini and a Jet 1642), and I couldn't believe tecknatool would restrict itself this way.

I went to the KMS site and looked. The Nova 2's DO come with the removable inserts similar to their other chucks. I've tried to attach a pic of one of their sale deals that shows the insert (upper left) separately.

Thanks for the review, I'm looking at one for christmas. You can't have too many chucks.

rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Prevett; 10-20-2004 at 4:41 PM. Reason: referenced pic wrong

Thanks for straitening me out on that one Rick. It is the new Compack chuck that has it built in, Available in following thread sizes:
    1"8 tpi rh, 1"10 tpi rh, 3/4"16 tpi rh.

Thanks again
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

What is the KMS Web site address?

KMS site address

The supernova 2 uses separate inserts. They're listed at $22.95 cdn each in the KMS catalogue. The chuck comes with your choice of inserts. One of them followed me home last weekend. Sorry, didn't have a chance to clean off the packing grease yet.
    Last edited by Fred Chan; 10-21-2004 at 8:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chan
    The supernova 2 uses separate inserts. They're listed at $22.95 cdn each in the KMS catalogue. The chuck comes with your choice of inserts. One of them followed me home last weekend. Sorry, didn't have a chance to clean off the packing grease yet.
    Hey Fred, don't believe I've had the pleasure of giving you an SMC "Welcome", so, WELCOME! BUT, for a real newbie here, I already hate you! Sheesh, a guy's got a couple posts under his belt and is right away making me feel bad showing off a chuck like that! Just ain't fair, I tell 'ya! (Uhhhh, in case you haven't figured it out, tongue is planted firmly in cheek! ) Hey, seriously, we'll be waiting for a full review/report on that puppy! I have the Super Nova, as well as a Compac chuck (which does work!), so I'm kind of fond of Teknatool, plus I'd have interchangeable stuff already. Again, welcome aboard! Come often, stay long!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hi John, thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid I won't be able to give much of a review of the chuck as I'm a newbie when it comes to turning. I haven't touched a lathe since high school (more than 30 years ago). I had been looking at all the great pictures of turned stuff on the forum and when my daughter asked me to buy a lathe so she could try turning some pens, well what could I say? SWMBO came with me to the toy...oops!..tool store to look at a mini lathe and she decided that it was a much better deal to buy a Nova 3000 instead. All I have to do now is put it together.

OH, so you have a NEW 3000 and NO PICTURES of it? Foul! 10 yard penalty and 20 lashes with a wet staining rag! Wait until somebody officially reports you to the picture cops! Then you'll be sorrrrry!

As for the review, I still say, "Do it!" Fine, so you're not in prime form right now, but all the more important to see how a nice piece of equipment like that may get you back into the swing of things! I'm a newbie at most anything related to wood and I have slowly found that, the better the tool, the more conscious I am at taking advantage of it and doing a better job. Basically, I already have the excuse of "inexperience", so by getting a good tool, I'm getting rid of another crutch! Bring it on (the review) and don't forget pics of the 3000!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Fred, a BIG Welcome to the SMC.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Well can't have the picture police after me! The lathe is still in the box until I build the stand for it. Amazingly it's not all covered with grease like all my other tools were. I've also posted a picture of the last thing I turned back in high school. We didn't have lathe chucks back then so it was turned on a faceplate. Things were going great until the cup separated from the faceplate and flew up and hit my friend who was standing beside me in the forehead. Fortunately he only suffered a small cut and didn't get too mad at me. The teacher never did let me remount it so I could part off the base.

Fred---Glad you got the pics up before they caught up with you.

There are some folks--me---who still use a faceplate to turn on.
    I have always thought they where the safest way to go--plus I can not afford them fancy things
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

OK, Fred. Looks like maybe the PP's will stay off your back! Great score on the lathe and it's a shame your instructor didn't let you finish off the cup! Very nice looking effort, if you ask me! Also, make sure you keep your digi-cam handy when building that stand! Folks are always interested in seeing the different designs and concepts for stuff like that!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas