Thread: Contractor Saw Performance Pkg

Unhappy Contractor Saw Performance Pkg

Hi to All-

Sometime ago I purchased a "Contractor Saw Performance Package" from In Line Industries (I have a Jet JTS-10 table saw). The package consists of two machined pulleys and a link belt. After installing the equipment, my saw seemed to vibrate more, not less. This isn't to say that my saw had a serious vibration problem before I bought the performance pkg. I might add that the cust. service contact at ILI was of no help. Anyway, I noticed that the link belt was shorter in length than the V belt that came with the saw. Could this make a difference? Also, (and bear with my ignorance) the links interconnect and lock in just one way, yes? I'd sure appreciate the thoughts/suggestions from those who have used this system.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Truschel

I thought that the JET already had machined pulleys. I thought I read this somewhere. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first. Length really won't matter as long as there is tension when the blade is all the way down and that the motor is not in some kind of bind when the blade is all the way up. Something I found out when I put my link belt on was the tabs go down in the pulley. Don't ask how I found this out. A lot of times the belt is sent with the tabs out and you have to twist it inside out to get the tabs to the inside. Other then this just make sure the pulleys are lined up. The only other thing would be a bad pulley. You could take the pulleys off, put your old ones back on and just use the link belt and see if the vibration goes away. Good Luck.

Link belt not oriented properly?

Check to see if the link belt is facing the correct direction for rotation. I've had this happen before. It could account for the vibration.

Have you checked to make sure that the pulleys are aligned? That could also be a problem. But not quite as big a contributor as the link belt!

Back before I sold it, I installed the pretty much the same package on my old 10" Craftsman Contractor's Tablesaw and noticed the difference right away. It ran much smoother and "quieter" (is that a word?).
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco
    It ran much smoother and "quieter" (is that a word?).
    Same here. On my 30 year old Rockwell/Delta I installed just the belt. What a difference!

Not to point it at you, but I would look at the installation process as the first area to check. If everything was done correctly, try going back to the original pulleys and use the link belt. It could also be a defective (out of balance pulley).

My experience on my old saw was just like promised. Smooth, full nickel test from start-up to shut-down.

make sure you properly attach the belt links together and they do make a difference on direction. As far as length, belts do stretch so depending on the age tha could account for the difference.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I'd agree with Scott putting in just one original pulley, test it then the other if need be. My Cman literally walked across the floor until the segmented belt and smoothed further with the 1 pulley.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/