Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #3 smoother questions

Blog Entries
    Being as a #2 will be much more expensive, a #3 might be a better choice for wallet preservation.

The #2 and #3 are very different, more different than comparing a #3 and #4.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

thanks, that was a good read that confirmed my initial thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Erickson View Post

I am thinking since I do not like the no. 4 the no.2 might be more useful for me than the no. 3. I am under the impression that a no. 3 is a mini no. 4, while a no. 2 is more of a whole different plane. Am I misguided? Price isn't really a consideration.

Is there a no. 2 to consider other than LN? I am not particularly inclined to hunt down rare Stanley collector ridiculousness. I have been wanting to try a plane other than LN, Veritas or old Stanley. Miller Falls?
    Last edited by Zach England; 01-25-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I am thinking since I do not like the no. 4 the no.2 might be more useful for me than the no. 3. I am under the impression that a no. 3 is a mini no. 4, 2, while a no. 2 is more of a whole different plane. Am I misguided? Price isn't really a consideration.
    I think your analogy is spot on. The #3 does fill like a trim #4. The #2 is a different tool all together.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

#2 has its place if you work on small pieces, but for general smoothing, I think it's tad bit too small for large area smoothing. Spot smoothing, its small size works great.

As far as #2 goes, Veritas doesn't make a bench plane in that size, BUT if you get a low angle block plane with optional knob and handle, it's the same size as #2 in terms of sole size and blade width, plus wider cutting angle at your disposal. I don't think Clifton makes #2, so your option is LN, Veritas LA block plane w/ knob & handle or go for vintage Stanley. Out of all, I think LA block plane and knob/handle will come out the cheapest. If money isn't your concern, get a couple of spare blades (just get 25 degree blades and do the rest of cutting angle adjustment with micro bevel). All in all, that should do it.

For a small smoother, I use the LV standard angle block with added front knob. I tried the rear tote on the low angle and found it puts the balance a bit too high for me. The standard angle fits the cup of my hand just right and the front knob gives a bit more control.

Jim B

I have the Veritas Block and have considered the ball/tote kit just for fun. I usually leave a toothed blade in that block plane as I have 4-5 different block planes to use in different situations. I'll consider getting a few different blades for it.

Speaking of block planes, I just got a Veritas "apron plane" and I think it is my favorite block plane. It's only drawback is the lack of an adjusting mouth, which I guess is a necessary sacrifice trying to make it so small. It fits beautifully in the hand (and I usually hate small block planes) and is just effortless for quick trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    #2 has its place if you work on small pieces, but for general smoothing, I think it's tad bit too small for large area smoothing. Spot smoothing, its small size works great.

As far as #2 goes, Veritas doesn't make a bench plane in that size, BUT if you get a low angle block plane with optional knob and handle, it's the same size as #2 in terms of sole size and blade width, plus wider cutting angle at your disposal. I don't think Clifton makes #2, so your option is LN, Veritas LA block plane w/ knob & handle or go for vintage Stanley. Out of all, I think LA block plane and knob/handle will come out the cheapest. If money isn't your concern, get a couple of spare blades (just get 25 degree blades and do the rest of cutting angle adjustment with micro bevel). All in all, that should do it.