Thread: Home Grown hollowing rig

Home Grown hollowing rig

The bar is made up of 2-3'x3/4 cold roll steel ( Lowes or HD ) cut to 2-2' pc. 1-1' pc & 1-6" pc , bolted togather for now to see how it works out the maybe welded.
    The big nut that holds it to the bar was drilled out so the 3/4 steel rod and the Jamieson double ended bar would slide in to it the cap nut holds the bar, the steel rod was tight hammered on.

The 3/8 rod is tapped into the nut, goes up to hold the home made adjusting block for the laser measuring thing , that is a pc 1/2"x3' sq tubing same (lowes or HD ) the Laser is form Staples or any office supply .It is fit into a 1/2 cpvc tee tapped with 3 8x32 cap screws to hod it in place , I use 1/2 o rings to keep the botton on pushed .

The rear tool is made out of plywood & 2-32" tubing I measured the center and cut the plywood so it wood be right ,the revised one will have adjustment. but with the cutter and bar set up it is dead center with the drive spur.

Hope it makes sense to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    now thats pretty slick, most go and replicate jamiesons d shaped stabilizer. The welding has kept me from trying to make one... (it doesnt help that I dont own a welder, dont know how to use one or know someone who has one)

Keep us posted on how well this works.

Joseph that is a nice functional unit. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for posting and explaining. I will bookmark this. It looks like something I could make. I would just have to figure out how to use it!

Very nice pictorial on what looks to be a great homemade captured system. Looking forward to your post on how well your new tool works for you and ofcourse the hf you make using it. Homemade tooling sure adds alot to the pleasure of turning...Bill...

Turned another small hollow fourm today and I had a hard time trying to under cut the rim , i need to make the bars on the rear tool rest longer , so when the cutter is turner some what backwards that I can get it in the small hole . other then that i think it will work out .

Here are the pics of thr fourm walnut 6"round 4" tall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joseph - nice work on your hollowing system! Hollow forms can be challenging but stick with it and they become very addictive.

Looking forward to watching your progress!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!