Thread: Drawer dividers

Drawer dividers

Hey everyone, Been a while since I posted anything, but I would like to ask you for some suggestions. I have four large drawers in my kitchen and I would like to fabricate some dividers for them. Something that I could customize for each different drawer. I want to organize my kitchen tools.
    Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    Don
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Not being a cabinet maker I just head to the local BORG. I poke around in the displays and catalogs of "upgrades" and get tons of hands on ideas.

Blog Entries
    You can take thin stock and make your own dividers.

Make pieces that fit the width or length of your drawer. On those pieces cut V notches where you want a divider located. Then measure the dimension from the bottom of the V on one side to the bottom of the corresponding V on the other side. Cut another thin piece to this dimension and make the ends pointed to fit into the Vees'. Using a series of V notches and pointed end dividers you can make any arrangement of divisions you want
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Don

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I have always made inserts incuding on my boats.
    Layout the tools/items you want to store, then make the bottom out of 1/2" Luan and the sides and dividers from 1/2" MDF or Baltic Birch or whatever. Include the outsides of the insert also to make it stiffer. You can also make dados' for the dividers to fit into but they remain pretty stable if glued to the bottom and edges and also nailed from the bottom.
    Then just drop the whole thing in the drawer.
    Simple works best.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Here is the one I did a few months back. Made from some left over ash I had laying around. It is assembled in the drawer and has no glue in it. Just fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. No bottom either as the old one had a bottom and we could never get it completely clean. This way, you can just take the organizer out and wipe the bottom of the drawer if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you build your own rather than buying the ready made stuff, be sure to plan for more gizmos in the future. I found that if you design something to hold what you currently have, the very next day you buy something new and it won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Williams View Post
    Here is the one I did a few months back. Made from some left over ash I had laying around. It is assembled in the drawer and has no glue in it. Just fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. No bottom either as the old one had a bottom and we could never get it completely clean. This way, you can just take the organizer out and wipe the bottom of the drawer if need be.
    I really like this. This is exactly what I am looking for. Are the thin dividers also ash? Please tell me more about your design.
    Don

Thanks. Yep all of it was ash and all of it was resawn to 1/4" thick.

Here is how it is assembled looking from the back of the drawer to the front (or top to bottom in the pictures)
    • The side pieces(left and right) have a 1/4" rabbet in the ends and they go in first, when installing.

• The front and back pieces then slide between the rabbet and the front and back of the drawer, locking them in place.

• The top horizontal divider then slides into dadoes that are cut into the two sides. That same divider has a dado in it to accept the vertical piece that makes the two lower left compartments.

• That vertical piece and the second horizontal piece are connected with a lap joint.

• The thee dividers along the bottom just slide into dadoes in the second horizontal piece and the piece in the front of the drawer.

Hope this helps. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions on it.