Thread: fingernail tool

fingernail tool

Here is a photo of 3 'fingernail tools' that I use for beads and stuff. They are just flat on top.The small one is 1/4" M3 that I got 20 years ago. I use it for my tops ad stoppers and little details. The next size is 1/2" that I made out of a captured ring tool I never used. This is one of the 4 tools I use most everyday. The big one is 3/4" and is under development as far as the shape goes. I was made from a Sorby scraper. You can see me using the medium one in a couple of my videos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up I like that!

That's just like the sorby spindle master. I'd thought about taking a tool or two that I don't use and doing exactly. You have inspired me! Thanks!

Fingernail tool

I saw a tool on a video that was used to make 4 grooves simultaneously on a pen barrel.
    No other information was given.
    Is there such a tool available or is this a DIY project?
    If so (not being a tool maker) how do you make one?

Larry, could this be what you saw?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMBSET.html

Probably this one: Benjamin's Best (PSI) #LCMBEAD8
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Probably this one: Benjamin's Best (PSI) #LCMBEAD8
    It was like this one only it cut 4 grooves rather than 8.

Paul I made one like the little 1/4" one. It has a bevel of 25 deg. I saw Cindy Drozda use one at a demo. She also shows it being used on her DVD's on finials. She used it to make crisp details on her finials. It will get into places on beads that other tools can't. Does a nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Paul,

How do you sharpen it? I have seem a few videos and text comments the spindle master from Sorby, and others, about using a diamond hone only on the top surface. I was just wondering what you did to sharpen it?

Also how did you shape it. Do you use a jig like the OneWay MFG varigrind? Or do you set a flat tool rest, like the Wolverine, to the right angle for the bevel and presenting the cutting surface in that manner?

Thanks,
    Joshua

I just freehand it. I try to get the hollow grind even so my honing is easier. I use diamond hones to clean it up and buff lightly with compound on a fake leather wheel. I don't sharpen the top except to take off the burr with the polish step. I just saw the spindlemaster and how they sharpen it and noticed the rounded underside. That seems like a good idea, so I guess I'll have to get/ make one. Maybe a rod ground half flat would work. My new camera is great, but I'm waiting for the lens attachment to show up so I can put it in a plastic bag to keep the dust out filming in the shop. I'll make another 2 minute video then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    I just freehand it. I try to get the hollow grind even so my honing is easier. I use diamond hones to clean it up and buff lightly with compound on a fake leather wheel. I don't sharpen the top except to take off the burr with the polish step. I just saw the spindlemaster and how they sharpen it and noticed the rounded underside. That seems like a good idea, so I guess I'll have to get/ make one. Maybe a rod ground half flat would work. My new camera is great, but I'm waiting for the lens attachment to show up so I can put it in a plastic bag to keep the dust out filming in the shop. I'll make another 2 minute video then.
    2? Just 2? I fear I am going to need at least 6 minutes.

Thanks for the videos and the replies.

Joshua

Thanks Paul. I'd love a link to the videos if possible. Not sure if you use it like a scraper or ride the bevel.