Thread: Grinder tool rest angle jig

Grinder tool rest angle jig

OK, I have looked for over an hour and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I know I have seen a shop made jig that you put on your grinder tool rest to set an angle. Anyone have a template or something they can show me? Tried sharpening my skew (HF brand) and totaly dorked it up .
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I have the wolverine system with vari grind so I can grind my bowl gouges but I need an angle finder for setting the FLAT tool rest to a specific angle for regrinding skews and parting tools.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Don't quite understand what you're trying to do. I grind my scrapers with the platform that comes with the Wolverine set by adjusting it for the angle needed. I sharpen my skews with a diamond hone since I don't have the 20" plus radius stone to re-grind them with. I've never worried about having a specific angle for any of these, but you could pick up something to figure this out at any big box store for a few dollars.

Go to pennstateind.com and type in there search box this number
    Item #: LSCENTER

I think this is what you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The raptor jig sold by craft supplies and others will do what you want. It will also set the pocket on the wolverine jig to generate a consistant angle even as the grinding wheel shrinks. I believe Tormek has a jig with a similar function. Registers off two points on the wheel to get a tangent. The link above has a video.

I bought a set, but have not had them long enough to really use them much. Does take a lot of guess work out of the setup for the grinder. I also have a veritas grinding platform I use on another grinder, it came with an angle jig as shown in the review.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have the Wolverine setup, love it. But from the reviews I am seeing, the Penn State copy of the Wolverine, LCGRIND4 is pretty much the same thing as the complete Wolverine system, just different lock down mechanism for the depth adjustment. Amazon sells them for $10.00 less than Penn State. Which is WAY cheaper than the Wolverine setup. I got lucky with a deal on the Skew platform and the Vari-Grind.

The cost difference between the PSI and Wolverine is kind of high, I am not sure I would have bought the Wolverine if I had seen the reviews of the PSI first...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I actually have both - on two grinders. Its been the evolution of sharpening for me...

Anyway, the PSI version is really inferior to the wolverine.

- The vari-grind equivalent is no where near as useful
    - The arms of the jigs do not slide very well at all
    - The locking mechanisms are more difficult to use

These have been my experiences so far. I went inexpensive once, and then eventually bought the wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    I have the wolverine system with vari grind so I can grind my bowl gouges but I need an angle finder for setting the FLAT tool rest to a specific angle for regrinding skews and parting tools.
    It's covered in the DVD that should have come with your Wolverine setup... Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake sometimes...

There are jigs for setting the angle of the platform in relation to the tool to be ground, let's say for example you totally hosed up your skew, and want to regrind it to the original angle... Wish I knew where I had seen the write up at, but yeah, I am pretty sure it was here, or on Lumberjocks...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The raptor set up tools by Crafts Supplies mentioned above is what I was origionally looking for just couldnt remember where I seen them last.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006