Thread: Rotary Engraving Questions

Rotary Engraving Questions

I just got my new CNC mill. It is a 12 x 16 Zenbot. Today I got it moving and even engraved some letters on acrylic. I can see a lot of possibilities.

Can someone either direct me to some basic information or help me with some basic settings.

For different materials, how fast do you set your spindle speed?

How fast do you set the movement on you engraver?

There is a good chart for engraving bit sizes in the Marco catalog. Does anyone have any suggestions for bit other suppliers?

Since this is a CNC mill I'm running Mach 3 as a controller. Does anyone have suggestions for a good and reasonably priced CAD/CAM software? I'm strongly considering VCarve.

Thanks,

Garrick
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

Hi Garrick

Congrats on your new cnc mill. I use V Carve and it is really a good software package for the money and no problems using with Mach3, I use both.

I tend to run spindle speed as fast as possible allows faster x-y movement. With this said the most important factor is chip clearance and material you are cutting. Need to keep the flutes clean, and cool or you will just waste the bit, material or both.

Best of luck

Mike
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting