Thread: Tormek 7 Owners

Question Tormek 7 Owners

Does anyone sharpen there own planer blades? I bought a Jet sharpener a few months back, used from a fellow Creeker. I haven't even opened the box yet. The last few weeks it seems that everything I own from scissors to planer blades is a bit dull. So I was looking into adding a long and short knife jig as well as a planer jig to the tool box.

To my disappointment Jet doesn't offer the planer jig. I would be amazed that the tool rest post where of the same dimension. So.... (drum roll please)... does the jig come with the tool posts or do you attach the blade holder to an all ready existing tool holder?

I have a T7 and love it. Not completely sure but I thought I read or heard somewhere that the tool rest post was the same on the Jet and Tormek. If you have a woodcraft (or any other place that sells them) close, you could easily find out. Probably could find it online though. There are a bunch of videos on youtube, should be able to find the video to help you out. As for scissors and a few cheap knives, I just free hand them. Use the jigs for all the turning tools, which is the primary reason I bought it. Hope this helps.

The posts are indeed the same diameter. I have an older Tormek and both Tormek (2006) and Jet jigs are interchangeable with it. I assume the Tormek 7 uses the same post diameter.

I want to thank everyone that has replied so far. The general consenus is that the tool post are the same diameter and the smaller jigs are interchangeable.

I did some more digging and found a review that indicated that the tool posts are indeed an integeral part to the planer jig.
    The reviewer praised the jig, even though he found that the planer blade jig tool post was somewhat out of square. I would have returned it, but thats another thread.

Nick,
    "Not completely sure but I thought I read or heard somewhere that the tool rest post was the same on the Jet and Tormek"

Could you measure the center to center distance on the Tormek of the tooling post boss? If they are the same, which I can't imagine, I can figure out what I want to do? I might just cut the inside post off and have it rewelded in differant location or forget about it entirely and buy a T7.

Following link to amazon: http://www.amazon.com/TORMEK-Planer-.../dp/B0000223ZF

Thanks for the help

I have an older Tormek model 2000, and the "SVH320" planer jig. I sharpen jointer, and 12" planer blades. There's a small learning curve. But after using it for a while, it does a super job.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Jim your measurement of 3.5 CTC of the tool post is spot on. Same on the Jet model to my amazement. Which brings whi is making them?? Not much of a concern to me just a thought. I'm ordering the blader blade jig Monday!