Thread: Central Machinery Bandsaw Inquiry

Central Machinery Bandsaw Inquiry

Does anyone know anything about this company? I'm looking at a model T32208 bandsaw - 14", 1hp, tilting table, 4 speed.

Any good? How does it compare to a modern Grizzly? I can get it pretty cheap, but probably for a reason. I'm used to pretty nice tools in my grandfather's shop - will I notice using this one?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bob Coleman; 01-26-2010 at 3:11 PM.

No comparison to a Grizzly, Delta, Jet. It's a Harbor Freight machine. Worth maybe $100 used.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It's a Harbor Freight machine.
    Hm, did not know that, moving on . . .

You have just learned a very valuable woodworking lesson, Bob.

A few years ago, one of my coworkers heard I was a woodworker and asked if I would like to buy his Central Machinery lathe. It was a very large, floor-standing model and he wanted only $100. I asked the guys in the Turners forum about it. They all said, "Run!". So I did. At the time, I also was unaware that brand is from Harbor Freight.

I've heard there are a few nice power tools from Harbor Freight. But the band saw is not one of them. I talked to a guy who tried to use his father in law's HF miter saw. He said it was so poorly made it was downright dangerous. So, you can probably scratch that off your list as well.

Central machinery is harbor freights brand, and regarding that, you get what you pay for.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

I've been in HF several times and much of the stuff in there is genuinely frightening. However, there are bargains to be found. Their hydraulic table has been a godsend for many tasks, got it on sale and with a 20% off coupon for $160.

I also found a small parts toolbox that's virtually identical to the Stanley ones I love, almost look like they came from the same mold and stack with them perfectly. Slightly thinner plastic on the internal bins and frosted vs clear plastic, but just as good so far and half the price.

Harbor Freight machinery

and their ilk have been termed "kits". With enough tinkering and some parts replacement (guides, pulleys etc.) it can be made serviceable, but by the time you're done how much have you saved?

Anybody ever see this?

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08...d-the-abysmal/

I found this when researching the HF DC. Seems the bandsaw makes the "good enough" list... but maybe not good enough for good to fine woodworking? I probably would stay away from it for WW'ing. I do frequent HF for clamps, air tools, nails/staples... etc..

A friend of mine has one of these saws. It ain't one of their "gems", that's for sure!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have a big Central Machinery floor standing drill press. Bought it a few years ago and it works great. Use it all the time. Straight/accurate and powerful. Sturdy and heavy... dunno what else to ask for in a drill press. I have checked out their bandsaw many times in the store and it just seems/feels cheap. I've read that after some modifications there are some people out there who like theirs. I used a variable speed control from a Central Machinery lathe I've had for a long time to replace a relatively new speed control that burned out in a Rockler lathe...

Harbor Freight stuff is what it is. Some things are diamonds other things are scrap... got a dovetail jig for 30 bucks at HF that seemed to be identical to one they sell at Rockler for $150
    Last edited by Bryan Morgan; 01-27-2010 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08...d-the-abysmal/

I found this when researching the HF DC. Seems the bandsaw makes the "good enough" list... but maybe not good enough for good to fine woodworking? I probably would stay away from it for WW'ing. I do frequent HF for clamps, air tools, nails/staples... etc..
    This (from the above link) was really funny:

10 Things I Wouldn’t Buy from Harbor Freight:
    1) Parachutes
    2) Fire Extinguishers
    3) Pacemakers
    4) Vaccines
    5) Birth control devices
    6) Elevators
    7) Bullet proof vests
    8) Trigger locks
    9) Pitons (I didn’t know what this was either…)
    10) Scuba Gear

Piton = a noun, a metal spike used in mountain climbing with an eye through which a rope may be passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    Piton = a noun, a metal spike used in mountain climbing with an eye through which a rope may be passed.

Generally a rope is never passed through a piton, it might be in very unusual stuations but normally the rope is attached to the piton with a carabiner. Since the 70s the move has been away from pitons (and other forms of protection that scars the rock) and toward nut, chocks, cams etc that are removed by the second climber. I have climed a lot of rock using old piton scars as finger holds. Climbing gear is one area most would never consider buying used and definately not from Harbor Freight!