Thread: Box Elder HF w/ Bloodwood collar

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.

Box Elder HF w/ Bloodwood collar

I've been visiting the forum, and I've been turning.....I've just not been posting for quite awhile as it turns out. Anyway, I was delighted to find alot of flame and burr figure in this piece of Box Elder. This is my first contrast collar, this one made of bloodwood. 7 coats of waterlox and buff. 7.25 x 3 inches. There is a small foot but it's really hard to decide on a photo angle to best show the piece. Comments and Criticism always appreciated.

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beauty Randy. Really nice form and finish looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very Nice! I like the wood combination, and the form. Nice piece of BE too.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Oh, wow, that is stunningly beautiful.

I can't offer any critique on a great hollow form, but as for the photo, the only thing I can say is to rotate it slightly clockwise. It will probably only take a degree or so. The angle that you shot it at shows the form well.

This one has been book marked to my "inspiration" folder.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

You have crafted a very nice piece. I do like the collar. Several members of our club have made HFs from box elder, it is nice wood. This piece is great as well. Excellent!!

Excellent!! And, a wonderful combination of woods. That box elder is really a beautiful piece of wood.

Good looking hollow form Randy! Lots of character to that Box Elder! Nice job on the contrasting color collar! Really like the finish also!

Photos are tricky when it comes to figuring out the best angle to view a form. Usually - the higher you raise your point of view from the profile of the form - the more distorted the form becomes. You have to take a series of photos to find the one that best captures the elements you wish to highlight.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very pretty wood and the contrasting collar goes well with it.

Real nice! I like every thing about it.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Hi Randy,
    Nice work on a nice piece of wood. Good to see someone from the Big Sky Country out here. I have lived in Billings, Great Falls, and Missoula at different times of my life. My father still resides in Billings so I make it back once in a while. I imagine you have plenty of time to turn durring the winter. Keep them coming.
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Bloodwood is a good match for Box Elder. Not just visually, but linguistically. The red in Box Elder is sometimes called "Witches Blood." So a creepy, yet oddly appropriate match-up.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I love it... form, color, figure, etc. Nice work.

That's really pretty. I really like the combination of the woods. Nice job!

I have a hollow form made from box elder started and was trying to decide what accent wood to use. After seeing the bloodwood here with yours I am going to use it on mine as well. The two woods look great together. Thanks for posting !!!