Thread: Table saw Router insert - between fence and router

Table saw Router insert - between fence and router

I have searched and can't find the info for this... or I'm not doing the search right!

I have a table saw iron router table insert. I did this, and wanted to know if I'm ok to continue (safety, good practice, etc)

I don't have a picture, so hopefully I will describe it right. So I use the table saw's fence. I don't bring it all the way up to the router bit, but leave a gap the size of the stock between it and the routerbit - sort of like when cutting wood on the table saw itself. I run the wood from back to front, since the bit is cutting in that direction... and edge the wood that way. It seemed to work.

I know I know - I really need to build a router fence! It's on the list.

THANKS in advance

Do not leave a gap. Build the router fence.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    If I understand your description right I would say Don't Do That! You are trapping the wood between the bit and the fence. I believe John Keeton posted pictures recently of a router fence that fits over the TS fence. I don't have time to look for it right now but will be beause I want to make one like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    If I understand your description right I would say Don't Do That! You are trapping the wood between the bit and the fence. I believe John Keeton posted pictures recently of a router fence that fits over the TS fence. I don't have time to look for it right now but will be beause I want to make one like it.
    Yeah - I was getting the feeling that I shouldn't do it that way!

I starting looking for good ideas on router fences.

Blog Entries
    Check out this thread for pics of John Keeton's fence. It looks pretty nice. I may try to make one for my router.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=fence

OOooo... Ahhhhhhh... I LIKES it!

I like that magswitch, too! My TS fence is aluminum, so I'll have to come up with something else... easy with a t-bolt and knob type thing.

I have this nice piece of Aluminum i got at a garage sale that I'm quite sure can become some kind of fence... I'll have to show a picture of that, too.

Thanks for the link - and the advice Guys! I'll have to find some other method for making my stiles.