Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unifence vs Biesemeyer

Unifence vs Biesemeyer

Ok, I know there are probably some posts on this already, but wanted some new opinions. I have a Unisaw with the 52" unifence. Is it worth the money to upgrade to the Biesemeyer fence system?

I have no problems with my unifence. It cuts perfectly square and I have it zeroed in perfectly. The only thing is because of it's design, it is hard or impossible to use some basic fence mounted jigs. I always find a way around using them, but for safety reasons I would like to be able to attach a featherboard jig to keep the stock pressed down against the table but pretty much impossible with the design. And it's aluminum so the magnetic featherboards are out.

So is it worth the $$$ to go with the Biesemeyer?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I don't think the Biesemeyer fence is going to help you with the featherboard issue. It will raise up just like the UniFence and it isn't metal so magnets won't stick either.

I think the UniFence is a more functional fence. But the Biesemeyer is a bit stiffer and is usable on both sides of the blade without having to move the fence around. I have two saws and one of each fence, one for each saw. My primary saw has the Biesemeyer fence.

Mike, is it okay on a big manly woodworking forum to say that "I LOVE YOU!!!!" You just saved me a headache and possibly a few hundred bucks! Have searched for something like this over and over and found nothing.

That's a neat add on Mike. Great job.

When I owned my Delta 36-752 hybrid saw I had the unifence and a second fence and a router plate in the extension table. I made this bigafence add-on to attach a home made router fence. It was awesome.

Enjoy it boys/gals - Chris and his long running webpage on it deserve all the credit! I just have a good tool memory!

I think Chris's mod is very cool. Had I seen it earlier, I might not have bought this for my Unifence.

http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm

Thanks for posting the other solution Bob. I did not have time to find that one. Had Chris's not worked I was going to order it as well. If the price had been $40 or $50 I would have bought it just because it looks really really nice. Building Chris's MDF Bigafence was a super easy fix and worked perfectly and free so as I had teh mdf and hardware already. I never even mounted the T-Track as I was using it more for clamp on jigs.

I purchased the Uni-T-Fence that Bob linked to for my Unifence. I really like it. I have only had it for about 6 months so I haven't come up with any interesting jigs to attach to the T-slots yet. I purchased it from Peachtree last summer when they had their 25% off sale so I felt it was well worth the purchase over building the "Bigafence".

The Unifence has earned it's own reputation as a very good one, BUT I'm just a Biesemeyer Kinda Guy!

I like the fact that the Biese and it's clones are all welded steel rather than aluminum. The Biese can be mounted either side of the blade, if need be. The faces can be replaced (even homemade) much cheaper than purchasing a new aluminum extrusion. There is a rear clamp-down kit available for the Biese, but a big c-clamp battens down the fence firmly for featherboard or jig use. Not so easy with the Uni as it does not use a back rail to my knowledge. The Biese is already *box-shaped* which allows easier adaptation to jigs or fixtures without much head-scratching. But that Bigafence is pretty neato too!

Since the OP already owns the Unifence, adapting it would be much cheaper than starting over with a Biese T-square.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

After seeing one up close tonight I may be a Vega fence guy now.

Chris Rosenberger was nice enough to sell me his old T-Track for the Unifence today. So this solves all of my problems. At least the fence problem that is. There are always problems and conundrums in my shop.

But Mike, I know what you mean about the Vega. Friend of mine just got one for his Powermatic cabinet and it is very nice. Very smooth.

13. Vega? Thought this was a Unifence vs Biesemeyer thread..

I been kicking the idea of Vega vs Shop Fox Classic around myself.. But have been keeping up with this thread as uni and bies are still of interest.

Well I can tell you Scott, I have no problems with the Unifence not riding on a rear rail like everyone complains about. It stays 90 wherever I put it. I got the saw and fence combo over a year ago and have not had to adjust it since initial setup.

Now that I am going to have that T-Track attachment, I will not blow the money on the Bies or Vega. The Uni is very smooth on the rail and easy to adjust if necessary. When it locks down, it aint goin anywhere!

15. I wish there were some place where you could just walk in and play with three or four different kinds of fences and rails set up on the same saw.. Be like an amusement park!

Well.. At least to me it would be.. Can't think of anyone local who is a distributor for anything though.. Except maybe Fastenal, but I'm not sure what all they offer.. Should stop in tomorrow when I go to pay the utility bills.