Thread: *Sigh*...it's a rough life

*Sigh*...it's a rough life

Well, we're moved into the new shop....er, I mean.......house. The LOML has really made it nice. We've both been working very hard, but she's home with 2 little kids, and somehow, everyday, when I get home, another project is completed. Lots of paint and sweat equity, but it's really shaping up. Have spent some time in the "Garage Mahal", in the woodshop, and will spend more time there this weekend. To the point.....

In our yard, we have 2(of about 6, total) LARGE trees that need to come down. They are right next to the house, one was hit by lightning this past spring and is all but dead.......the other is just kind of ugly and in the way(hangs over the front porch). At any rate, the smaller of the 2 is about 6 feet around, the other is nearly 8 feet. The boles measure 7' and about 8.5' tall, respectiely. Well, they will be coming down soon. And the best part...........both are black walnut. Off to the sawmill the boles and anything straight of a significant diameter will go and I will be cutting bowls blanks out of everything else that I can. Won't be cheap, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying this stuff elsewhere!

Sort of a pre-gloat, I guess. Pics will follow(so BACK OFF! ).........as soon as we figure out where we packed the digital camera!

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Yeah, I'd say that's a gloat, Russell! Not sure if I'm swallowing the "can't find the digi cam..." part, but I know moving is a real pain and I'll give you the shadow of a doubt. This time. Besides the Walnut, you do realize, we'll be needing pics of the new shop, too! Good luck with it all and have fun!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Russell, I think you got it wrong both times when you said you moved into the "new shop".....then said "new house", because I think you moved into a LUMBER YARD, (High End One, at that). Some guys sure have all the Luck, or maybe you planned that when you were house shopping??

Good luck with the milling, and let us know how many bd ft you end up with.

Well it's air dry for 8 weeks then a few in the kiln. Can't wait to see those turnings! Awesome gloat....ummm...pictures ?

Phfftttt!! no pics...sigh....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    No Mercy, Even for Creekers that stop by the house and are taller then me! (are taller then me! ) That's all of them.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 10-22-2004 at 1:42 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler, you are a nice guy, online and in person, so I am going to, at great pains, avoid making the 11 or so jokes that immediately came to mind!

Never know when a fella might have some spare black walnut in the back of his pickup this spring, as a gift for a friend, if, oh say, that fella was heading to the cities for a class or somethin', eh? Just a hypothetical.........
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Svenningsen
    Tyler, you are a nice guy, online and in person, so I am going to, at great pains, avoid making the 11 or so jokes that immediately came to mind!

Never know when a fella might have some spare black walnut in the back of his pickup this spring, as a gift for a friend, if, oh say, that fella was heading to the cities for a class or somethin', eh? Just a hypothetical.........
    Doah!!!! I'll be good
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/