Thread: My R4511's ZCI With Replaceable Plate

My R4511's ZCI With Replaceable Plate

Well, since I had a cosmetic flaw on one of three ZCI's I did for my table saw (tape slipped on the third one) I decided to try out my replaceable plate idea on it..

See, I've got TONS of laminate flooring left over from the old house.. Yes.. I moved it.. It's mostly seconds... WHO KNOWS what uses I could find for it!

Well, this is one use.. It's SLICK as crud and would make a good insert for a ZCI.. So.. On I went.

The only taper bit I had for the router was a 14 degree bit, so I chucked that up and started feeding the ZCI through the router.. Darned if that thing didn't shoot out of my hand.. TWICE.. while working on the third pass. Anyway.. Torqued down the feather board and back at it I went.

With the ZCI main body hogged out I set out to cut the flooring on the table saw. With one edge cut, I set about cutting the second edge.. With much trial and error.. With the cut now perfect in size I tossed the scrap and grabbed a long sheet of flooring to cut it out.

It was actually easy as pie making the blanks.. Once I cut one long blank, I just flipped the left over over and turned it around to that the angle road against the saw fence. A few rounds of this and I had four long blanks set to the side that I can cut to length later.

I did cut one to length and this is what came out after I was all said and done.

This is a flub from the router chattering and throwing the part sideways a tad.. Oops.. Feather boards are good and miter slots are a MUST on router tables.

And here is with the insert pulled out.

Now.. I've still got to drill and tap for levelers as well as install a holding clip to the back bottom of the plate.. Once that's done I've got a really nice, fully functional, if not slightly screwed up in a few spots ZCI plate with replaceable insert..

I won't have any issues now using the factory guard with its kickback paws installed as they'll just slide along this flooring. And I can have a brand new ZCI any time I want.. Simply by cutting into a new blank..

So what ya think??

Blog Entries
    Nicely done. I have toyed with that idea off and on and still find it appealing. I currently just make them (without the insert) in batches of 6 and change the whole plate but, your insert version is lookin' good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Can't see the pics at work, very interested though, gonna have to wait till I get home! Damned work filters!!!

Made my first ZCI last night for my R4511.. use MDF just as a trial run.. wanted to weed out any mistakes on MDF first!

I was amazed at how much the front of the insert was lower than the rear... I had to shim the heck out of the front of the insert to get it flush with the table... you have the same on your 4511 scott?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Can't see the pics at work, very interested though, gonna have to wait till I get home! Damned work filters!!!

Made my first ZCI last night for my R4511.. use MDF just as a trial run.. wanted to weed out any mistakes on MDF first!

I was amazed at how much the front of the insert was lower than the rear... I had to shim the heck out of the front of the insert to get it flush with the table... you have the same on your 4511 scott?

Well then, here, I'll upload one of the shots for you..

Mine is also lower at the front than the back.. Makes for the necessity of using leveling screws (set screws) to bring it flush.

I'm not sure of the back fingers (granite to the side of the opening) are HIGHER or if it isn't that metal section affixed to the center/back. I pretty sure it is higher, which causes the offset.

The metal tab at the back is a plus though, even that it makes using leveling screws a must, as it gives a good place to slip a back hold down under.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks pretty good Scott!! How is it working out so far?