Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Apple Unveils the iDud

I really like Tim's idea of using it as a GPS. I don't trust the GPS to come up with a route that I'll like, but would LOVE to have a decent-sized Google Map that I can drag around and zoom in on, etc.

Wow...thread took off. LOL.

My thinking:

The iPhone was great for me because it bundled up my phone and my laptop, two things I have to carry for business purposes, into a tiny little device that fits in my pocket, at least when all I need is my e-mail and a couple other things. Add in all the great apps that are available, and we have a winner.

The iPad doesn't replace anything. It's something I need in addition to everything else. That's the last thing I want. I was hoping this would bridge the gap between the iPhone (which is a bit too small) and a laptop (which is too big and doesn't make calls). Instead, it's a big iPod.

I think Apple's a bit off the mark here. That doesn't mean it won't sell well. Heck, the ShamWow sells well. It certainly leaves a lot on the table, though, and seems to me like it's a bit unfocused, maybe even a technical demonstrator. There's nothing wrong with that and it's cool, but I don't see it as the future.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 01-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.

It's not $400.00... it's closer to $1,000.00 with G3 and AT&T service for a year, required for ebook status unless you download your books to a computer and zap it over.
    I'm not buying any G3. I have a cell phone. Hell, I have an iPhone. $500 is what I'll pay unless I decide to get the USB dongle or the nifty looking "stand" case thing.

As for requiring g3 for the ebook function, I'm pretty sure you are wrong. You just need a wi-fi connection. Same as with iTunes or the app store and the iPod touch. It is possible that there are people who have no wifi and don't want to fork out the $30 for a wireless router or wander to the nearest coffee shop. But I doubt this product is aimed at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    1.surf the web and deal with all my email uses.
    Maybe. But there aren't a lot of people willing to pay $500 to surf the web and read their email on the can. Most email freaks out there already have an iPhone/BB/Nexus One/smartphone. The market for those wanting to spend $500 to read email wirelessly on a 10" screen seems... low. Especially since the bloody thing doesn't support flash.

2. becoming the brain to my home theater
    How? With an add on IR interface and specialized app? That is a pretty limited market too--I can assure you, having uilt a 10" touchscreen remote for my home theater 10 years ago from an airpanel, Cinemar software and a slink-e. The touchscreen is the easy part. The rest of it is hard. And I don't see the native capabilities in the iPad to do it.

3. manage and store and view all my photos
    64GB--where this maxes out--isn't exactly super storage. There are a lot more cost effective solutions for storing things--for less than the minimal iPad you can buy a 2 disk RAID NAS with a pair of commercial ES 1TB drives. And, what comes with the iPad isn't exactly great photo management software unless you are using iPhoto somewhere else.

4. gps while traveling morphing into a laptop computer on the road.
    Like I said before, it isn't a serious laptop if it doesn't have a keyboard. The inventor couldn't type on it without making mistakes. It runs a mobile OS, not OSX, Linux or Windows. It runs iWork, which has nearly zero market share. It is not a serious work device.

And, if I read the specs right, you only get GPS with the 3G model. That means you are shelling out $630 minimum, and at least $180 yr for minimal data service.

5. could be a network storage device at work
    You want a network storage device, buy a ReadyNAS with a pair of commercial 1TB drives for $440 or so. That is *less* than a 16GB iPad. Storage it is not.

6. could be the coolest home telephone ever
    Aside from the part where you don't seem to be able to buy a voice plan for it. So yeah, maybe run VOIP over your WiFi. That is a frickin' expensive phone. And, do you really want to hold that up against your ear?

7. i could see a ton of uses for it making sales calls on the road
    Again, except for the part where it doesn't actually have a voice plan so that won't work. Unless you want to do VOIP on a mobile network. Which is pretty sketchy.

Go ahead and tell yourself you are replacing multiple devices, but if you buy this, are you really going to throw away your laptop, your cell phone, your home phone, your TV remote controls, your external drives, your GPS...

I think Apple generally builds decent hardware. I like my Mac Book Pro. I like my iPhone. I like my iPod. But this thing? Sure, the Apple hardcore will buy it just because of the logo, but I don't think it is a game changer.

The one interesting thing about this puppy--aside from the interesting data plans--is the multitouch interface. I could see how some interesting applications might be built on that. But they would have to be pretty awesome to choke down that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I am old fashioned and still use a full size PC for work computing
    Me too. I hate laptop keyboards and just don't see how I could deal with a touchscreen keyboard for anything other than an emergency. But my travel choices seem to be carry iPhone, which lets me deal with short emergency emails, or carry iPhone and laptop, which lets me deal with larger exercises and is necessary for longer trips. I just can't see this replacing the laptop in that scenario, because the keyboard and full range of office applications is the reason I carry the thing. The iPad doesn't replace those.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I just recently got a notebook to use for email when I roam around at work and need to get to my email.
    Have you looked at the smaller netbooks? The Nokia is pretty stunning. Seems to me it packs a bigger punch than the iPad. I'm vaguely hoping that the data options for the iPad will drift over to other netbooks like that one. In any event, I'd seriously urge people to try other options.

But, maybe I'm out of my head and the touchscreen works great for typing. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the iPhone corrects errors. But the demo Jobs performed did not inspire confidence.

To quote the guy on the funny Onion video: "I'll buy anything as long as its shiny and made by Apple"

I wonder if Jobs gets tax breaks for the religion he created....

Look back a few years at the original iPod with its grey scale screen, and simple list of features. There were gadgets on the market on the time that could probably do far more for less as well. The Ipad is still in its infancy but I think there are some interesting concepts behind it.

I use a home built windows XP machine at my shop for running cad/cam software, as well as an old dell for running my Shopbot. My laptop is an older 12" Macbook which has survived quite a bit of use and abuse but its still going strong.

I use an XP desktop for most of my productivity needs with cad/cam software. My Mac laptop mostly gets used at home, but I do take it to work for secure email/web browsing etc...

When I am at home I do use my laptop for some productivity software such as open office, inscape, iweb, sketchup, and a Windows XP virtual machine via Parallels for cad/cam software.

Other than that when I am either at my shop where I have a desktop, or on the road I very seldom use my laptop for anything other than web browsing, email, and other basic stuff.

I will very likely purchase an iPad and just use my laptop at home, since I think the iPad would cover my needs for the most part while at work, and on the road. I could care less about a camera, and some of the features people say it lacks.

Obviously, and even Steve Jobs stated that this device is not intended to be, or replace a laptop. For some people of course, a laptop is by far the way to go, and while I would likely leave mine home most of the time, I would never consider not having a laptop available.

I think the iPad will be very nice for many people but I can see how it might not be a good fit for others.

I am pretty much sold as well on the ability to display and show pictures on the iPad which I think would be very nice for marketing. Trying to show photos on a laptop can be a royal pain.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 01-29-2010 at 1:25 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

with my iphone and a computer at home and work I found I have no need for a laptop. though paying a game on the ipad would be nicer then on my phone it would be a paint to carry around. I mean I could see using it while watching a movie instead of my iphone. but that's about it. it is too big to use as a ebook in bead. it would take two hands and if you drop it when you drift off it could really hurt
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-29-2010 at 4:17 AM.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I doubt this is going to be a notebook/laptop killer. Running a mobile OS severely limits its capabilities. I was looking at the work software that I run, which is considerably more than a browser and a word processor, and I bet it would eat a mobile OS.

My guess is that iPads and the netbooks are going to slug it out. How that will end, I don't know. I cannot imagine doing a serious amount of work without a dedicated keyboard, at which point, it is starting to become a netbook without the more robust operating system.

There may come a time when I opt for a smartphone of some sort, but unless the future generations are significantly expanded, I doubt I will be looking at these. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see if this beast finally breaks tablets into the mainstream.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    As for requiring g3 for the ebook function, I'm pretty sure you are wrong. You just need a wi-fi connection.
    Wi-Fi yes, that will eliminate the need for the 3G... If you don't have wireless you'll need a 3G account or spend more money for a router to read a book or download a game on a what is essentially a keyboardless laptop.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    To quote the guy on the funny Onion video: "I'll buy anything as long as its shiny and made by Apple"
    Saturday Night Live writers are probably working on a commercial as we speak.

"You can compose email while holding onto it right in your hands. Watch a movie in your lap or read a book while holding onto it. Read the newspaper while riding on a bus right in your hands. Listen to music through ear buds while it slides off of your lap and onto the floor. You can get finger smudges on it while showing endless photos of you kids right in your friend's hands. It does everything you already have a device for but for much more money. Battery life, 20 minutes."

This is pretty much the video of Jobs on Youtube. The writers can go home this week.
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 01-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Well after spending some time on Apple's website I see some good and bad stuff.

This would be excellent at doing many of the computer things I do with my kids. My not quite 2 year old pulls out my Iphone, opens it up, and then proceeds to go to the pictures file. She opens up photos and goes through them one by one. All unsupervised. Occasionally she calls or texts someone, but not too often. My not quite 5 year old uses my slightly more powerful than a netbook laptop and watches train videos on YouTube. We do this every day, most days. Generally he does it on his own while I put the other one to bed. My laptop has a rudimentary touch screen and most of the time he uses it to pick his next video-the ipad would do that much much better. The Ipad would work very well for both kids. Shoot, this means I would have to get 2 if we were to get them (not going to happen anytime soon!!). I could see each having their own in a year or two and using them on long drives to play games, read books, draw, etc.

The limitations I can see just from Apple's website and the couple reviews I have read are: NO MULTI TASKING. This is no big deal to me on the iphone-though it would be nice-but in a borderline laptop it would be a severe limitation.

No ports: There is not a single USB port. Not 1. You need a special adapter to connect anything. Seeing as the adapter is proprietary I am sure you get the privilege of paying Appleland prices for it. It does not appear that you can even sync an iphone or ipod to the ipad. How in the world is this possible? If I am trying to use this thing as a light laptop I need to sync it with my other devices easily and since neither the iphone nor Ipods sync wireless....

It appears you must sync this to a different computer and sync your mobile device to that same computer. So it requires a third device-computer-to get your smartphone and Ipad on the same page.

4:3 screen shape: We have all gotten used to watching movies and TV on the 16:9 widescreen format-yet this device has a 4:3 screen. I have had laptops with the 16:6 shape-in fact I think even my little laptop has a 16:6 shape. I guess the argument is that 4:3 is better for webpages and reading. Maybe it is but this is also sold as a way to watch movies and TV.

So long and short of it: Looks like something to wait on. I bet the next gen of both Iphone and pad will sync wirelessly. Multitasking will come to both devices at the same time...the Android Smartphones already have both features available. Apple can't afford to wait. It seems to me that Apple rushed this product to get it out and the 1st generation has some very serious limitations. Gen2 should address those and cost less. I think the 4:3 screen ratio is here to stay and there may be good reasons for it. Curious what Google comes up with to compete with this. Their OS is extremely well suited to this type of device, but Apple's patents on multi-touch screens may limit them.

I HATE proprietary adapters. I think that is just dumb.

I had 5 Nokia phones over the course of 13+ years (as a contractor, I'm kind of hard on them, but some were feature upgrades, too). They were excellent phones, but limited. I even had a Palm device at one time, too--also limited. All of them made it difficult to QUICKLY enter a contact's name and number. Last year, I got an iPhone 3G, and it's a whole new ballgame. It's incredibly useful to me. Add in the jailbreaking I did, and it's even more useful (you have to be a bit of a geek to do this with confidence). It's clear to me that Apple has throttled the iPhone back, but I suspect the biggest reason is battery life. Myself, I wouldn't care if it were twice as heavy if that meant longer battery usage.

However, it, like my previous 2 or so Nokias, has a proprietary connector. Which means that if I want an extra sync cable, it's big bucks or online order. Apple, PICK A MINI-USB AND USE IT!! Even Nokia finally saw the light (my wife's current Nokia phone uses a mini-USB).

As for the iPad, I think only time will tell. It doesn't look useful to me--just an overgrown iPhone, without the phone, but that doesn't mean that many won't find it useful--or a must-have gadget. 32GB seems pretty limited considering that's available on the iPhone, and this is more geared toward video. Also, I'm always leery of large expanses of unprotected, portable glass. I've already seen someone else with a broken iPhone screen (not expensive or difficult to replace, but most people don't know that). I'm more looking forward to future iterations of the iPhone, and even now, when my wife's cell contract is up this year, I will probably pass my iPhone to her and upgrade to the 3GS (or hold out for the next generation if there are rumors in the wind).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The first thing I wont be doing is expecting it to function as my main computer.
    In its cheapest form it has wireless connection to the internet via a wireless router, I wont be purchasing it to connect via 3G.

This is going to great for the workshop although primarily it will be the interface to my homes Insteon automation system. This touch screen is much cheaper than the dedicated propriety screens offered by the home automation manufacturers and its the perfect size.

I design my woodworking project using sketchup, it will be nice to view my saved drawings while working in the shop as well as browse to various sites like Finewoodworking for a video or to read this forum etc.
    I've been reluctant to drag a PC into the shop because of space and the dust issue so this little device will work perfectly for all things woodworking. I like the look of the iPad and its feature set, other book reading devices look like toys when you see them side by side.

One other use is online radio which I'll listen too while woodworking.

I don't think Apple made the ipad to please tech bloggers, or gadget columnists for magazines. I don't read what they have to say most of the time either and until I get to play with one in a store and use one for myself I won't make judgements.

I remember reading forum threads, blogs, and tech columns which all had a unanimous negative sentiment regarding Apples release of the original iPod. People called that iDud, Iflop, you name it, and I remember how my first ipod felt so primitive compared to what they offer now. It even seemed basic for the time as well but it caught on.

And clearly the iPad is not designed for people who rely on a laptop, and apple is in that markets as well. It is not designed to be a "Tablet PC or netbook either"

Perhaps if the multi touch interface works well they may produce a touch screen version of the Macbook, or MacBook Pro which would very much fill the role of a "Tablet PC" Apple has also been working on handwriting recognition for years now behind the scenes.

I don't think they are looking to replace there entire product line with a $499.00 device, and certainly I think allot of the multi touch features will make there way up to there laptops at some point.

I expect we will see much further functionality with future releases of the software, and of course there will be version 2.0 sometime in the next 6 months to a year. Who knows what apple might be withholding or saving as well since the release is still 3 months out, and there is still further marketing to be done.

I guess this device has been over hyped quite a bit and perhaps Apple had too much to live up to with it, but for what its intended to be I think its pretty attractive. I do understand many people might not have a use for it, just as I have no intention of buying a smart phone. My 4 year old Motorola razor works fine for me.

As I said in a previous post I will strongly consider buying an iPad. I think its quite interesting, and I know I would have a use for it. I don't think the price is too bad either assuming it doesn't really cost more than the original 10gb ipod with a greyscale display. I still have mine, I think its somewhere in the bottom of my sock drawer.

I think the bottom line is don't get an iPad if you want a laptop, netbook, "tablet PC", and don't expect it to be a real computer. Apple knows this, and they obviously didn't design this as a one size fits all solution. After all they still sell, smart phones, laptops, and desktop computers.

I would like to have one though for displaying photos to clients, email/web browsing, and some light work with numbers (Spreadsheet), and for watching youtube videos, viewing maps, etc.. I don't really need the full power of my laptop at work since I have a desktop anyway, but at least at work an iPad would let me do what I use my laptop for, alongside my XP machine.

For now I am not listening to the tech bloggers, and gadget columnists. I don't buy gadgets, and I can't tell you how often I disagree with the tech columnists on stuff.

I am strongly considering purchasing an Ipad because It has features that I find useful. However if you don't have a use for it, don't get one. I think allot of the sentiment on it boils down to weather or not a person has a need for it. This product is still only about 48 hours old, with three months to release so there is plenty of time for revisions before, or after so its too early to jump to conclusions, and in the end if you don't need one, you don't have to get one.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 01-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.