Thread: Why would anyone buy this

Why would anyone buy this

router off e-bay when its at Tool King's site for $229 with free shipping and Lowes for $219?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...332006505&rd=1
    Dennis

Age old story, Dennis. People get caught up with the hype and, just because it's on an auction, they mistakenly think it's a good deal. I've seen so much stuff out there go for as much or more than mainline vendors. Seems to happen a lot with computer components, but WW equipment is up there, as well. Yeah, sometimes you can indeed find a good deal, but it's "buyer beware". Like you pointed out, a person really needs to do a bit of research before committing to a bid out there.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Like this auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

The bid on 2 new Bessey 50" K Body clamps at this time is already up to $91. There are still 2 1/2 days left on the auction so the bids will probably go higher. But, even if this is the final bid, the total cost with S/H will be $111.

The same 2 clamps at Amazon are $82, including shipping.

Go figure!
    Ken

Why.....?

Crazy, isn't it? I see it all the time. About 2 months ago Amazon had a net total price including shipping for PC 7518 routers of $227. At the same time, three sold on Ebay for over $285! Go figure...
    George

You'd be surprised Dennis. I just sold a scanner from 1997 in the box unsused for a MAC for $40! I paid $10 at a garage sale. Ebay is addicting...tools seem to have an 'afterlife' of about 10% over retail across the board. Heck I sold a NON-working Milwaukee 18v drill for $100. I haven't had a garage sale in 5 years!!

I think this happens more often than not because of the lack of time for certain people to shop for the best price...especially those not on a budget. That said, I am with you....WHY???

Toolking's auctions aren't too great, you can save maybe $10 after reserve is met. They end up with a lot of unsold items, but the listing fees are probably worth the advertising to them, draws people to their site.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    Toolking's auctions aren't too great, you can save maybe $10 after reserve is met. They end up with a lot of unsold items, but the listing fees are probably worth the advertising to them, draws people to their site.
    James -

I think you hit the nail on the head for the advertising strategy. Course if they list on those "sale" days tha E-bay has occansionally, it won't cost as much.

The bid frenzy does get some people at the last minute - but two or three days out - come on, what are they thinking.

Ted

My ebay strategy... If it's new, I shoot for 25% less than mail-order (including shipping). If it's used I look for 45-50% off. With this strategy, I save a lot of money.... I don't win much, but when I do, it's a score! I've had better luck at garage sales.... Make lots of offers...

Excuse my honesty and bluntness, but maybe because they are not intelligent enough to do some comparative shopping?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I say some get caught up in the frenzy of bidding but I also think some are lazy and may have enough money to "splurge" on eBay. When all you gotta do is sit on your butt and bid and Brown brings it all to your door....

I also think there is a stigma on eBay that everything *must* be cheaper there...it just *must* be....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ebay is good

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I say some get caught up in the frenzy of bidding but I also think some are lazy and may have enough money to "splurge" on eBay. When all you gotta do is sit on your butt and bid and Brown brings it all to your door....

I also think there is a stigma on eBay that everything *must* be cheaper there...it just *must* be....
    Hi Chris.
    Believe it or not Ebay help our Co.
    The last two weeks we export more systems that we sold in US.Thru Ebay itl.
    And is the only place that you're making money while promoting your product all over the globe. And not only you sell your product but you find dealers to.
    Ebay can be good for small companies with new products.
    And you can find some good deals there.
    What I like the most about Ebay is the feedback system that they have.
    And this is the last two.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1
    Great Idea! Use EZ Smart if you desire quality work with less effort. IT ROCKS!!
    Buyer jackm01075(jackm01075@comcast.net) ( 13) Oct-20-04 06:15 4329812665
    Reply by eurekazone: You guys ROCK. With your help WE WILL make woodworking safe and easy for ALL Oct-20-04 17:13

Recvd. unit, set unit up- WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL OF MY WOODWORKING LIFE-AAA++++
    Buyer brian7869(blesher69@comcast.net) ( 29) Oct-20-04 04:01 4329784909
    Reply by eurekazone: Woodworking Brian. And the EZ-Smart is the labor of love for woodworking. Thanx Oct-20-04 17:02

See you.
    YCF Dino
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 10-22-2004 at 6:28 PM. Reason: more info

Cool...glad to hear about this, Dino. Very interesting from a business point of view!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    router off e-bay when its at Tool King's site for $229 with free shipping and Lowes for $219?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...332006505&rd=1
    Look at the price of the wire-feed welder this seller has. One sale and he can retire. $359,352.99.

OK, OK, its a typo.