Thread: Source of wood materials for Sketchup

Source of wood materials for Sketchup

I had this collection of wood textures on my hard drive and thought I should share. They are not my creation. I would provide a link to the original source except I can't remember where that was

I hope you can use these in your designs.

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B59E...MjAxYjY0&hl=en

This one is pretty good as well. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/5652
    -Dan

Thanks, I'll give 'em a whirl.

I have been modeling dining tables, and in looking for examples on the 3D Warehouse, have come across some good wood textures, for a whole table-top. When you download the model, you get the texture.

For realistic texturing of large wood surfaces in Sketchup, you need images of wood that are taken from surfaces as large as in your model.

I don't like the tiny little square texture images that are commonly found. The ones in the Lumberjocks link are especially bad. They don't even look like wood.

Gene, have you found sources on the 3D Warehouse for long board textures?

I make my own from long boards (8' long or more). Often I'll make as many as a half dozen texture images from a single log so I can avoid repetition. This morning I made a couple of textures from a Makore log for this this sideboard.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-10-2015 at 1:39 PM.

After a couple of PMs from members, I thought I'd add a few additional examples of the benefit of using decent wood grain textures in SketchUp over those worthless little square texture images. Admittedly the makore in the example I referred to in my previous post doesn't show that well. So for this mahogany desk I created six textures from 8-1/2 foot-long boards around 10 inches wide. That gave me the option to pick different parts of the boards for different parts of the model. A similar thing shows on this Swedish pine bench and this German child's chair. If the model is worth adding textures to, you might as well use good ones. They're easy enough to make from your own photographs of boards.