Thread: Painting BB Ply and poplar

Painting BB Ply and poplar

I am painting my mudroom cubby project and was wondering what people do to get a good paint finish on birch plywood and poplar 1x material. The plywood parts that I have painted already are a little rough - I guess from the grain swelling. Is the solution to that problem to prime first? If so, with what? Or is it to sand between coats? Thanks

I use the zinsser B-I-N primer when I paint. It's a shellac based product, so it seals well and latex- or oil-based topcoats stick to it.

You can spray or brush apply it, just make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

I will sand between coats with a very fine sanding pad.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Whether you use a primer, a thinned first coat of paint or a waterborne paint the first coat needs to be smoothed. All finishes will somewhat swell the wood fibers on the initial coat. These need to be lightly sanded down to get back to a smooth surface. Subsequent coats will go on much more smoothly.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 02-05-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Howie.........

Paint sticks to primer. Very important.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I just painted a table of BB, regular birch ply, alder and poplar last weekend. I used latex paint 3 coats brushed on and sanded between each coat. Then a final coat with a foam brush after sanding and it turned out very nice. The poplar did have a lot of grain raising after the first coat. I used 220 for the first sanding, then each coat after I sanded with a green scotch brite pad.

The table is in the weekend project thread but it is hard to see the finish in the pictures.

Blog Entries
    I have had great results with Zinsser B.I.N. every time. Other quality primers have worked for me almost every time ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the Zinsser B-I-N primer, too.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.