Thread: Yet another "What Jointer should I get" Question

Yet another "What Jointer should I get" Question

So I've gotten permission to spend about a grand on a Jointer. I'm looking at 8" ones because everyone seems to say that if you get a 6" you'll regret it, and a 12" would be to expensive, plus not really fit so well. I'm just a hobbiest, working in my basement. I plan on building a bedroom set, and maybe a couple other pieces of furniture in the not to distant future. I do use figured woods from time to time, but not all that frequently.

I'm trying to decide between a Grizzly G490X (8", 3hp, lever type, Spiral head), the Grizzly G0593 (8", 3HP, Wheel type, Spiral head), or a used Powermatic 60B (8" 2HP, Lever type, traditional blades)that appears to be in great condition.

The spiral heads on the grizzlys is a big draw for me, as I don't want to have to go get the whole set of blades sharpened each time I put a nick in it, and I'm not sure I will be able to do a good job aligning the blades. The better build qualilty of the Powermatic is very attractive though.

So anyone have any thoughts? And sorry about the yet another jointer thread=.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a Grizzly G490X (8", 3hp, lever type, Spiral head), the Grizzly G0593 (8", 3HP, Wheel type, Spiral head), or a used Powermatic 60B (8" 2HP, Lever type, traditional blades)that appears to be in great condition.
    I think posting the prices would be useful.
    For a hobbyist jointer blades last a long time.
    I think the spiral head is more important on the planer. You are probably going to plane the face jointed side anyhow.

OTOH, if you can get a new spiral jointer for the price of the used blade one, that's pretty hard to argue.

They're all about the same price.

I faced the same decision about a year ago. After way too much research and over-thinking, I went with the G490X and I have been very happy with the decision. I liked the combination of features that the 490X had vs. the 593. Several recent threads compare them, and some people prefer the 593. Both are great--a friend of mine has the 593 that I used before I bought one. I didn't consider (or really have) a used option.

No contest. Grizzly with a spiral. The wheel vs lever is a parsonal choice. I have had both and don't really have a preference. I have the Shop fox Version of the G0490x and love it.

My .02

If you are not in a hurry . . . I have always found that patience is the biggest factor when doing something on a budget. Look for used machines. Try industrial recovery services, craigs list, and there are other auction sites. Search your local listing services, and tool dealers, as they often have used equipment. Bottom line is I have saved myself a lot of money the times I am patient, doing plenty of research, and waiting for the right moment to pounce.

just to be sure- what you're referring to as a "lever" setup is actually a parallelogram jointer. the "wheel" version is on dovetailed ways.

Not sure if you recognized that or not. There are many debates on dovetail ways vs. parallelogram... you'll find a lot of info if you do a search.

But generally, the only difference is that a parallelogram jointer doesn't require shimming when the tables get out of whack. You have to use shims on a dovetail machine.

But if the dovetail machine is set up correctly from the factory, it should never be an issue. So some argue that the parallelogram units aren't worth the price premium.

Up to you!

Blog Entries
    The G0593 is 2HP, maybe you mean the G0656X(?). I got by with a planer sled for 18 months while I saved my pennies. I sold my knifed 6" pretty quickly after I got it (ouch) and started researching, asking questions, grilling owners and so forth. My requirements list matured into

- Spiral head
    - Long p-beds
    - Tall fence
    - Mobile base
    - Plenty of power

Your top wants and reasons may vary. There are several quality machines in the $1k ball park. At the time I bought in May of 2008, the G0490X was the fit for me. I use it a lot and am still very happy with it. As I was told, I have yet to rotate to the 2nd of the four cutting surfaces despite hundreds and hundreds of lineal feet of jointing. I may get too old to use it before I have to actually replace an insert (and it comes with spares).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Have you considered the Jointer / Planer combo machines? If you go over that $1K mark by a couple of hundred, you can get a 12" jointer and planer in one really nice machine from Grizzly, or Jet... and save the shop space of one machine to boot!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Glen makes a good point. But I looked for almost a year and saw exactly one, I repeat, one 8" jointer for sale. It was a Delta DJ20 and the seller wanted about ten dollars below full retail. No thanks.

I went ahead and bought a Shop Fox 8" parallelogram jointer. Oh yes, it rocks and it rocks hard.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 01-29-2010 at 4:02 PM.

I'm with Pat. Maybe your Craigs list, and local dealers are different than mine, but if you wait for the kind of deal your looking for, you might have to plan to use it in an assisted care facility. I have an 8" jointer (dovetail - not parallelogram) with a Spiral head and love it. The price was right and shipping was a super deal at that time. Since then, Grizz has come up with super deals and different machines that look good to me...at least from the reports I've seen. The combo units look good, but are a little more pricey...you stated a limit. We have a budget, and we stick to it (our Govt. needs to do the same). Had a 6" and agree with the decision to go with an 8". Happier with the Spiral head, really nice on figured woods. The quietness is just a plus. Have never had a problem because of a dovetail machine and not a parallelogram.

Jim,

where are you located? I have a 0490 with a spiral head that I may need to unload in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Glen makes a good point. But I looked for almost a year and saw exactly one, I repeat, one 8" jointer for sale. It was a Delta DJ20 and the seller wanted about ten dollars below full retail. No thanks.

I went ahead and bought a Shop Fox 8" parallelogram jointer. Oh yes, it rocks and it rocks hard.
    By patient I mean a month or two. Beyond that my patience would wear thin and I will think my wallet is getting fatter. I guess I just had good luck when looking for machinery. Seemed everything I was looking for just popped up at a huge discount.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Have you considered the Jointer / Planer combo machines? If you go over that $1K mark by a couple of hundred, you can get a 12" jointer and planer in one really nice machine from Grizzly, or Jet... and save the shop space of one machine to boot!

Over the 1K mark by another 1K... The 12" J/P is 1995 plus shipping wth plain knives. You are probably thinking about the 10" J/P which is 1144 shipped (the G0675).

My choice of the OPs 3 is the 490X.

Thanks for the good advice everybody, I'll probaly spend another month or so looking on CL, and then give in and get a 490X.

Justin, I'm in South Jersey.