Thread: Tilt out laundry chute

Tilt out laundry chute

I have to design a built in cabinet that on the lower portion has a tilt out door that houses a laundry bin mated to a chute in the floor. I have the general concept hashed out with the help of a cardboard mockup but I need to ask for some input on the best way to approach the lower hinge.

I was originally thinking of a couple of pins protruding from the face frame on either side that mate to slots milled into the tilt out door face, and then a hydraulic damper up top to ensure that the door opens smoothly. What do you think? Good approach or have you seen something better/easier?

Why invent your own hinges? Why not use store-bought ones?

For the damper, you might be able to use a lid stay -- the kind intended to support a hinged desk surface that's being dropped down into position. Here's one kind, but there are many out there --- http://www.sugatsune.com/products/Pr...CTID=NSDX%2D10

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Why invent your own hinges? Why not use store-bought ones?
    I don't want to make my own hinge... I'm asking for pointers to something that already exists. I can't use a standard hinge because I don't want to see a hinge and installation is problematic given the limited access.

Already have a damper, it valves on opening while providing no resistance on closing... which is the exact opposite of how lid dampers (and most others) work. That's the design challenge, the cabinet door needs to open in a controlled manner, but offer no resistance when closing.

I'd counter balance the door with some mass in the chute to keep the door shut....it would open pretty smoothly and have the natural tendency to stay shut. The hing could be something as simple as the whole assembly rotating on a piece of steel bar round bar stock....

no dampers...no fancy parts....no exposed hinges.

let me know if you want me to draw a fancy picture with MS paint

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nolan View Post
    ...I don't want to see a hinge...
    Cup hinges are not visible from the outside. Soss hinges are not seen from the outside. If your door is overlay, Youngdale hinges would be not seen from the outside. (Well, they'd be visible if your head is on the floor and you're looking up at the underside of the overlay.)

thanks guys, I think we're heading in the right direction. I really like the counterweight idea, kind of like ballast on a double hung window.