Thread: Are Porter Cable & Oldham router bits any good?

Blog Entries

Question Are Porter Cable & Oldham router bits any good?

Eagle America has a clearance on roundover & beading bits by Porter Cable & Oldham for $5 each. Does anyone know if these are any good?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    I've got some of the $5 PC bits that (at least) my local Rockler has a bargain bin of. I have used them a couple times so no long life experience but they cut fine so far. I can't imagine you wouldn't get your $5 worth out of them unless you expect Whiteside performance for that price. Oddly enough, Rockler had several 5/16" straight bits for $5 which is a size I use that I usually seem to pay a premium for ;-) At that price I run them until they become questionable and then dump them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just about any name brand router bit is worth $5.

I once picked up a P-C 1/4" straight bit at the Borg for the regular $10 price in a pinch. I was using a circle cutting jig in MDF. The bit snapped off after only a few circles. I had a couple other 1/4" bits (Onsrud and White Side) that I had used for years, but were getting a somewhat dull that have been workhorses. I would never buy a P-C router bit again at any price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    I once picked up a P-C 1/4" straight bit at the Borg for the regular $10 price in a pinch. I was using a circle cutting jig in MDF. The bit snapped off after only a few circles.
    A side note on that; I use the regular arsenal of bit profiles but also use some fairly delicate bits. I had a small scale Whiteside keyhole bit fail. I wrote them and explained that I am experienced in using small bits and was not doing anything I thought improper during operation.

I asked if they would they like me to mail it to them for inspection. I did not complain or ask for a replacement. They asked that I mail it in so, I did, just trying to be a helpful guy in case there was a QA issue they might want to address.

The following week a new bit showed up in my mailbox. In my experience, Porter Cable would not have even asked to see the bit let alone replace it unasked. Although this one failure did not make me swear off them forever, I must confess that I have made such blanket decisions. Some I have gotten over; others I just cannot seem to get past yet.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Porter Cable bits are decent but I wouldn't put them up with freud or CMT. Oldham I have always found to be a budget brand, but any bit that is five dollars is a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    I once picked up a P-C 1/4" straight bit at the Borg for the regular $10 price in a pinch. I was using a circle cutting jig in MDF. The bit snapped off after only a few circles.
    Were you actually cutting the circles with the bit? I suspect that kind of use would snap any ¼" bit.

Yes I was. As I mentioned I have been routinely doing this with White Side and Onsrud bits for years and they don't complain even when dull.

Whiteside is about as good as it gets when it comes to customer service. They may be a few bucks more (although usually they are within .50 cents of Freud) but because I know they make a quality product and stand behind it, they are always my first choice.

I have had an Oldham roundover that I have used off and on for several years. It still is a good bit to use, for 5 bucks it is definately worth it. I can't recall what I purchased it for but it was way more than 5 dollars. I have a few of the Woodcraft 5 dollar bits and can't complain about them either, but I don't use them day in and day out either. Haven't tried the Porter Cable yet. Hope this helps.

I have Oldham, Porter Cable, and Whiteside bits. When I started my woodworking hobby with less money I bought Oldham bits. I don't really like them and would consider them low end bits. Nowadays I only buy Whiteside, unless I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait to order one, I'll pick up a Porter Cable at Home Depot. I would consider PC bits middle of the road, with Whiteside being top end. For $5, I would definitely get the Porter Cables and pass on the Oldhams.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Oldham makes the PC bits.
    Oldham is yellow, pc is red.

I won't buy either one after having a few of them.

Before the PC buyout by Black and Decker, with PC having so many good products, I never did understand why PC sold and marketed such crappy router bits and saw blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Franks View Post
    ... I bought Oldham bits. I don't really like them and would consider them low end bits. ... I would consider PC bits middle of the road ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Oldham makes the PC bits.
    Oldham is yellow, pc is red.
    Now I feel like an idiot. I felt the PC's were better than my Oldham's because they burned less and the carbide was thicker. I just checked with a caliper and the carbide is definitely thicker on my PC's than my Oldham's. Maybe it's just the style of bits I have of Oldham vs PC. Some of my Oldham's are no longer yellow, they are more like brown from all the burning.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson