Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Heater Garage heater?

Mr. Heater Garage heater?

anbody use a Mr. heater garage shop infra red heater for their shop?

Blog Entries
    I got a MR Heater for Christmas. It is not the infra red heater. It has two burners and a small fan in it. It does a nice job.

It uses two 1 pound propane bottles. They are $2.50 a piece and rather expensive to use. Amazon has a valve that allows you to refill the 1 pound bottles from a gas grill bottle (14 pounds) That cuts the fuel cost to about $1.00 a pound.

I like the heater and use it. It might be insufficient in your climate. It does put out 38,000 btu.

I am thinking about buying a garage shop heater. it says it heats up to 600 square feet. The guy selling it says we heats his garage to 70 degrees with no problem.

He says it smells though, so he is elling it to get a portable one for using in his garage or elseware.

It is what I want for my shop but I am leary because of the smell.

He says it isn't new but he doesn't use it very often so I was wondering if the smell was newness. ????

Blog Entries
    My heater has no smell. Northern Tool and Equipment have garage heaters in their website.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-31-2010 at 9:09 AM.

I have the Fahrenheat FUH5-4 (electric) and it heats my 22x12 shop in no time. took it from 51deg to 70 in a little over an hour
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

I'm trying to decide if the person has a sensitive nose or if the fact that it smells means something is wrong with it.

It's what I wanted because it wont blow dust around when its on. at least I don't think it will. But then I wonder if it needs a fan near it to help spread the heat around.

For 150 bucks I think it's worth a try.

If its the heater I think it is you can also buy an adapter hose thats approximately 12' long to connect the heater straight to a 20# or larger cylinder. Its sold by Mr. Heater and is generally pretty close to the heaters at your local BORG/Hardware Store/Farm supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    anbody use a Mr. heater garage shop infra red heater for their shop?
    I used the two burner model on my 20# LP grill tank when I lived in IL. I easily warmed my 3 car garage to 60 - 65 when it was in the teens outside. It doesn't smell after a couple hours of use ( break in to burn off any oil). My current shop now has central HVAC.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

Any heater that burns will smell if you are painting the fumes for the paint get gurned and produce the smell.

I use two of the Mr. Heater two burner heaters (bought at Lowe's on clearance for $50 ea.) in my 25' x 22' garage. They are both hooked up to 20# propane tanks. I will turn them on to full blast about 1/2 an hour before I start to work, then turn them down to low when I start working. Recently, when the temps. were in the teens here in Kansas, they warmed the garage to the high sixties. I place one of the heaters in a front corner with the other in the opposite rear corner.

I find them very efficient. I do have to retreat to the house about every 30 to 45 minutes to warm my hands early in the process as the cast iron machinery will stay cold until the radiant temperature warms them.
    Last edited by David Ballard; 02-01-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Perhaps I'm a bit out of the mainstream on this, but I don't want my shop to be 70 degrees. When I'm working, I start shedding clothes at 65 degrees.

Near tragedy, had one of my two kerosene heaters go up in flames yesterday. After lighting the heaters in the morning, went back into the house to let the shop warm up.Shop is an attached two car garage and when I opened the door to check on them, I had a wall of black smoke.

Most of the fire was contained within the heater itself with some flame and copius amounts of soot and black smoke coming out of the top. Tried turning off heater to no avail, so used a fire extinguisher on it. Only things lost are the heater itself and the two filters on the air cleaner. Looking around the shop I have the darnedest looking black cobwebs all over the place.

Thank heavens I had the fire extinguisher. Went right out yesterday afternoon and replaced it.

Now I'll be looking for another heating system. The Mr. Heater garage heater sounds interesting.
    Possumpoint

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I got a MR Heater for Christmas. It is not the infra red heater. It has two burners and a small fan in it. It does a nice job.

It uses two 1 pound propane bottles. They are $2.50 a piece and rather expensive to use. Amazon has a valve that allows you to refill the 1 pound bottles from a gas grill bottle (14 pounds) That cuts the fuel cost to about $1.00 a pound.

I like the heater and use it. It might be insufficient in your climate. It does put out 38,000 btu.
    Lowell, it sounds like you might have the "Buddy" camping heater. Is it red? I think you have the bigger version of my heater, which is a single element with no fan... And you can hook that up with a hose available at Academy to a #20 cylinder to run that thing a LOT cheaper than using 1LB bottles...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have a 3 burner Mr. Heater. It really does the job. You can use 1, 2, or 3 burners and have the option of them operating on a choice of three settings. I seldom use more than 2 burners and have never exceeded the #2 setting. I have a 15'x25' shop/storage area and don't really care about the area beyond where I am working. As it sits atop a 20# cylinder, it is easily repositioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gillespie View Post
    Near tragedy, had one of my two kerosene heaters go up in flames yesterday. After lighting the heaters in the morning, went back into the house to let the shop warm up.Shop is an attached two car garage and when I opened the door to check on them, I had a wall of black smoke.

Most of the fire was contained within the heater itself with some flame and copius amounts of soot and black smoke coming out of the top. Tried turning off heater to no avail, so used a fire extinguisher on it. Only things lost are the heater itself and the two filters on the air cleaner. Looking around the shop I have the darnedest looking black cobwebs all over the place.

Thank heavens I had the fire extinguisher. Went right out yesterday afternoon and replaced it.

Now I'll be looking for another heating system. The Mr. Heater garage heater sounds interesting.
    You have an excellent point about that extinguisher. I see a LOT of shop tours with no extinguishers. I pray that the shop owner just isn't showing off his or her safety gear... An extinguisher is critical ESPECIALLY when there is a lot of wood, wood dust, shavings, and electricity involved...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...