Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish for oak shop floor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That's going to be a smelly shop for a while!

But an oil finish does seem like it would be best for a shop since it won't scratch. And if--err when--you put a nice gouge in it just grab the ROS, clean up the edges, and wipe a little more on.
    Well, i'm in the build out stag so it'll off gas after I'm gone so no worries. And you cite the exact reason for an oil finish...easy to repair. Ok, and cheap

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Hey All!

I just got a good deal on some unfinished oak flooring for the new shop. It's the narrow 2 1/4" random length T&G and i'll have about 1200 sq ft to finish.

But, do i need to finish it?

My first thought was just BLO so the glue won't stick to bad, but what about just leaving it bare?

Thoughts? Experience? Opinions?

TIA
    Brian
    I got a great deal on grade #1 red oak t/g unfinished ( 50 cents ft ), I sanded it, then put 2 coats of satin poly on it, the saw dust is soooo much easier to sweep up and or vaccum..
    I think a picture says a thousand words and would answer your question.
    enjoy !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Pretty floor Garrett!

Do you find it gets slippery with saw dust on it?

Thanks
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Very Pretty floor Garrett!

Do you find it gets slippery with saw dust on it?

Thanks
    Brian

No actually it doesnt, I guess with the satin finish and putting only 2 lite coats it finished out good. I didnt put a heavy sanding on it either, I just sanded it enough to knock the rough edges off.

I read where guys were concerned about it being too slick, but honestly it isnt slick at all..

It beats having too sweep the saw dust off the plywood which was to rough and grainy.