Thread: what is this jointer.. WJ-200 8"

what is this jointer.. WJ-200 8"

This is not a Sherwood,,, it's a chinese import. 8" 2HP over 300 lbs. I can't find any info on them. Does anybody now what one is worth new? Is it junk?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks pretty cheap just from that picture. My experience with the end mount fences is that they flex a lot out at the end.

Does it look like this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31849

I would steer clear.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

That looks exactly like my Harbor Freight 8" jointer which I happen to think is a fantastic jointer, especially for the price. The jointer flattens boards perfectly. It's just a different color than my HF. I got mine for about $350 on sale, but I think it goes for about $450 normally.

i just bought a new in the crate Enco jointer on ebay for 325 and so far so good. the fence is supported in the center also. 2hp.

Looks like an old Reliant jointer, esp. with the end adjuster on the fence. I've heard like others that this design is more prone to flexing than center mounted fence, but I've never used one to confirm that. Guess that design has been around awhile and just won't quit with certain Chinese factories that are tooled up to make them still.

I had a HF 7" model that looked JUST like that, only green. So, I would imagine that it is made from the same factory under a different name.

Yes, kinda cheap. Of course, it depends on your budget and need. It might work for you, might not. I found it to hav a lot of vibration. The stand is fairly flimsy, and there was no dust collection attachment for the dust chute. Also, I made an attachment for the dust chute, and just as many shavings came out of the front of the machine as went through the dust chute.
    I drink, therefore I am.

yes,, that's it. It's an Enco'ish/HF jointer. A guy has one that is NIB for 300. I have a delta 6" jointer and would love to have a bigger one or flip this one hoping to add to my secret slush fund for tools. But I think a flip or replacement of my Delta would be too risky at this juncture.

If anybody is interested the ST. Louis, CL. this guy has two of them in the crate and verbally said he'd take 300.00.

thanks

I replaced my 7" HF with a Delta 6" and let me tell ya, the quality difference is HUGE. I would NOT trade in your 6" Delta for an 8" HF (or similar) just for the extra 2".

Now, if you are starting from scratch and don't have a lot of funds, the HF/similar works and will do the job.
    I drink, therefore I am.