Thread: Assembly I-beams---how long?

Assembly I-beams---how long?

I am making a set of assembly ibeams to allow for more adequate clamping options and wondered how long i should make them. The table they will be on is 30 wide, but seledome would I need 30 inches...i was thinking of 24" long...any thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Two points: It's really impossible to know what kind of work you'll be doing in the future, so plan for maximum flexibility.

Additionally, if you guess wrong and eventually need something longer, make a new set.

Excellent point Frank! They are simple and cheap. MDF makes a mess, so i would rather not have to make any more than needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Two points: It's really impossible to know what kind of work you'll be doing in the future, so plan for maximum flexibility.

Additionally, if you guess wrong and eventually need something longer, make a new set.

Jay, depends on what kind of work you want to do. I built mine 8' long to glue up stiles and rails, etc. Works great for me.

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Jay, depends on what kind of work you want to do. I built mine 8' long to glue up stiles and rails, etc. Works great for me.

Sam
    How does this help you glue up stiles and rails?

Glen, I have a lot of interior doors to build for my house. I laminate the stiles and rails for the doors. Using the I-beam allows me to laminate the stiles and rails flat.

Sam

This is interesting, I'd like to know more. I understand the rail and stile thing, in what other ways would these be useful? Thanks.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome