Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to move a bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gadget View Post
    A few years ago I bought a heavy duty appliance dolly. It has been a great investment for me, but you can rent them for less than $20.

My heaviest move with it was a 600 pound gun safe. I built a small ramp to get it up the one stair in the way, and moved it into place by myself.

While I would not recommend you move your saw yourself, with an extra hand, you can easily move it safely.

Mike

An appliance dolly is almost always the answer when moving stuff. The "belt rollers" make stair a breeze with heavy stuff.

I was worried about the bamboo stairs to my basement.

Not wanting to rely on my friends (who can drink ridiculous amounts of beer), I used double-walled corrugated boxes, knocked down (flattened) as sleds, and -- with me on the downhill side of each box -- set the two bandsaw boxes ON the flat boxes (one at a time) and "eased" them down the stairs with me ensuring they didn't pick up too much speed.

Putting the saw on the base, however, torqued my back a bit.

Next time ... $30 block and tackle from HF

Blog Entries
    Man, if I was close by, I'd just throw it over my shoulder and move it for you. Outside of that, I'm not sure what you can do?

Put ad in the local paper "help wanted." Or let the local High School know... some big ol' boys might be willing to help out for some spending cash.
    Have a Nice Day!

Jon, wish I could hire you ... but a heavy duty appliance dolly seemed to have worked for a lot of the creekers. I think I'll go that route. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me ... perhaps I'll post a few pics what it looks after I get it into the shop ... This will be my first "very serious" piece of woodworking equipment besides the dust collector. The rest of the shop is being upgraded using my stock of mostly benchtop tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray McGrath View Post
    Trust me on this. Only serve the beer after the job is done!!

Ray

Bingo - the beer is in a cooler in the shop. Show it to your friends, then take them to the BS - done deal.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.