Thread: Ellsworth School of Woodturning

Ellsworth School of Woodturning

Guys,

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I start a three-day course in bowl turning with none other than eminence grise David Ellsworth. I'm so excited, I can barely stand it.

He's going to have to work hard for his money, because I am one lousy bowl turner. I expect to come back Sunday night capable of nothing short of masterworks. When I return, I may be even more insufferable than I already am.

I'm taking my camera and will try to share the experience if anyone is interested.

BTW, if anyone is thinking of collecting, I read in a 1991 book that an Ellsworth piece sold for $6,500. In 1991. Before the bubble. I'm thinking that a signed shaving should be worth at least $100. I wonder how much work he has to do on my piece before it becomes HIS piece.

Jack

That is just so cool.
    I hope you enjoy yourself and learn bunches.
    Of course we will be checking back for those pics.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I hope all of your future works end up at the Renwick.
    Pete Lamberty

Lucky, lucky, lucky. What a fantastic opportunity. I'll give you a SMC buck just for a picture.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

You are going to have a great experience. I haven't taken the class but my friend has and I was out to his "Compound". I was there to pick up the Poolewood my buddy fell in love with while there. David is a great guy. Be prepared to part with more than the tuition after turning on those big boys. Enjoy.
    John

Well, I know I responded to this thread yesterday, but it apparently disappeared into the ether!

At any rate, David's three day seminars are wonderful. I took the class in August 2001 (pics on my site) and it was responsible for a singular big jump in my ability and enjoyment as a turner. He concentrated on basics...body position, balance, comfort...all those things that are so important and contribute to tool handling. On the latter, we were even hollowing bowls with only one hand. He really likes working with beginning and intermediate turners, too.

I've been fortunate to be able to interact with David since then a number of times, both at the AAW symposiums and when he occasionally visits our local AAW chapter meetings. His "compound", as John called it, is only about 25 minutes from here, and one of these days I may have to go back for some more instruction!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jach, yeah, what Don F. said! Man, you are SO lucky! 'Course, at this point in time, I think I'd be happy to just turn my own lathe "on"! Have great fun, learn a LOT and be sure to do pics!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jack, I am envious of you as well. I, also would need much instruction before I would feel comfortable in Mr. Ellsworth's presence. I still bludgeon wood so I dare not call myself a woodturner. Enjoy and take your camera to document what you learn.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Jack, I am envious of you as well. I, also would need much instruction before I would feel comfortable in Mr. Ellsworth's presence. I still bludgeon wood so I dare not call myself a woodturner. Enjoy and take your camera to document what you learn.

Mike,
    Who are you kidding? We all saw the work you are "turning" out. That humble act won't work here.
    John